Chapter Five

"Kyle?" I whispered as I answered the phone.

    A familiar voice responded, "Hey dude, how are you?"

    Clearing my throat, I said, "One second, I'm gonna step outside."

    I sniffled as I walked out of the dorm, sitting down on the concrete steps in front of our door.

    "What's up?" I sighed.

    "I'm coming back home."

                        ~*~

    It's been three days since Sam and I had gotten into that fight. The tension in the house was so thick you could cut it with a knife.

    When Kyle called me that night to let me know he was coming home, a feeling of relief washed over me. I missed him more than anything. He told me his fiancé had cheated on him, so he broke things off and is coming back home to live at our parent's house until he can find an apartment.

    Kyle had also brought up my birthday and apologized for not calling me. He hadn't even realized what day it was until he got an angry text from Sam. A small part of me was upset with Sam for yelling at my brother, but it also felt good to know he cared so much.

    I sat on the edge of my bed, holding my head in my hands as I tried to process everything.

    The beginning of the semester had gone so well, and now it feels like everything is going downhill.

    Sam and I never really fought as kids, maybe a disagreement here and there, but nothing as bad as this. I wanted to potentially be with Lucas, but the thought of losing Sam made my head spin.

Am I in the wrong? I wondered. No, I'm not. Sam has had more hook-ups than anyone I know, but I've never gotten mad at him! He's a hypocrite.

    I stood up from my bed and started getting ready for my morning class. It was going to be a long day. I had three classes, so I wouldn't be getting home until late afternoon.

    Changing out of my boxers and shorts, I changed into some fresh clothes and put on some deodorant and cologne. I finished up and grabbed my phone, bookbag, wallet, and a hoodie before leaving my room.

    Coming out of the room I heard the tv in the living room playing. I was hoping it would be Joey when I walked by, but I was dead wrong.

    Sam was sitting on the couch as he messed around on his phone. I furrowed my brow when I realized the show playing was my favorite show. He's being a dick AND he's watching my show without me? I rolled my eyes.

    He looked up from his phone, catching me out of the corner of his eye. Sam glanced over, an empty expression on his face. Does he even care about the way he spoke to me?

    I shot him a glare with clenched fists. Exhaling heavily, I snatched my keys from where they sat and slammed the door behind me as I left.

    My first class was psychology, and the building was across the street, so I always walked. I got my steps in and saved gas.

    The trees were practically barren; the dark months were coming. This time of year was particularly hard for me, a lot of traumas occurred during the winter season. Today the sun was hidden behind the clouds and there was a heavy dampness in the air, it was almost crushing.

    I crossed the street and sat my things down next to the pole the pedestrian sign was on. After slipping on the hoodie that was in my arms, I grabbed my things and continued my journey to class. I tugged the fabric closer as the wind blew.