Part 6

"Gustave, wake up. We need to leave. Now."

The poor bird wasn't given much time to ponder his surroundings as the human boy already yanked him up and led him to a prepared travel carriage where upon easy inspection sat their newly bought luggage and items. It was the dead of night and the snow had grown too thick for even him to walk in properly, with no one around to witness as they were a couple of good feet out of town, and all the gobby-penguin could register was the panic on Faddei's face as he paced around. Gustave then felt Faddei lift him up to the back where he, too, hopped in, closed the door and slapped at the wood. This caused the carriage to go already.

It was already too late by the time Gustave realized that they were heading to the castle in a rush. When he turned to see out the tiny window at the back end, he swore he could spot the silhouette of a small human with a crutch, getting smaller and smaller, a larger one came to stand next to it, until he could no longer tell figures from backgrounds.

Gustave slumped in the seat and felt his eyes water.

‿‿‿‿

Needless to say, Gustave had failed to serve his best friend like he planned. When he had returned there was no sign of the prince and the light flurry of snow had covered all tracks... Instead of being discouraged, the gobby-penguin had searched everywhere, even through the growing blizzard. Gustave was fine against this weather but it proved difficult to trace any leads when everything had been demolished under the winds... still, he would not stop. The pearl's aura was eventually chased as far as finding a rock with a small crevice, where there he would find his best friend freezing nearly to death. He remembered hazily how he managed to bring Faddei back to the village... nevermind that, it did not matter now. Not to this beast. None of that mattered when Faddei was safe and sound in a bed and warm.

A soup of sorts was the only thing he was allowed to eat ever since he'd been bedridden two days ago, but not once had he complained - Gustave chalked it up to being exhausted and disorientated and most likely in pain with both his right ankle and left arm wrapped in stiff bandages to keep them from moving much. The gobby-penguin could tell it hurt. He'd never seen such a pained look on his best friend's face before... He didn't think that was the worst part, sad enough. Faddei hadn't spoken to him ever since he awoke. With a heavy heart, Gustave couldn't blame him for being upset with what happened that day. The gobby-penguin was born and raised to protect Faddei, be there for him every single day of his life, and to prioritize his well-being over anyone else first.

That was how it was supposed to be... in the castle .

This was the outside world now. Everything was different. Gustave was different. He had spent so long living independently, learning, growing, realizing there was more to the world than being a protector to a prince boy. Of course Faddei was always going to be special to the gobby-penguin and he would still lay his life down for Faddei if it came to that, but now there were more people in his life that he cared for as well. All of them had given him a freedom that he never realized he could have! Gustave gave and helped others through both small and large hurdles, and in return, he was loved for, cared for, and protected too! Now, Gustave's life mission was more than just protecting one person. The people in the Kingdom were in need of help and while he had lived among them, he realized that he could help not just one person in his life, but as many as he wanted! Yes, he could protect anyone he wanted! Gustave had the freedom to do what he wanted! That didn't mean he had to stop being Faddei's protector, either! It was probably a hard fact for poor Faddei to swallow, though... living life spoiled and shielded from the ways of the world would do no one any favors. He had made it a purpose to encourage Faddei out of his shield that his family raised him in so he could see the wonders of the world - the hope of people and what helping others can do to oneself. That was his goal!