Chapter 1 | Desdemona

DESDEMONA "MONA" RAINORD

Eternal Mother Odea, keeper of the oceans, I call on you to cleanse my spirit, so I might not be lost no longer. I ask this of you with true devotion, o'eternal guardian.

≿━━━━༺❀༻━━━━≾

Dark smoke clung to the air as bright fires burned viciously throughout the homes down below.

It was the light of day and no one was coming.

West Hand never stood a chance against the brutal plundering of the mighty—the impoverished hamlets of the Free Lands never did.

The villagemen bellowed as they fought bravely to protect their lives and values. Those who slaughtered them bathed in their blood with joy. Blood curdling cries from women and children rang throughout the hamlet, fueling the pirates' bloodlust. The mother's above didn't listen as the villagers prayed for mercy. Villagers called upon any who would listen to their sorrow. Screaming villagers were common among the vast skies of the Free Lands.

No one was coming—not the goddesses and certainly not the royals.

The territory located smack dab in the middle of the realm became untouched by those who ruled the Four Great Kingdoms, except for those who wanted a piece of what the Free Lands had to offer. Commoners and noblemen alike traveled far distances to settle into the territory, hoping to produce a better life for themselves and their families. Rich or poor, the Free Lands were open to all, including those who would give their souls for a sliver of hope.

Gold shined in the day's heat, bringing warmth to Desdemona's hand.

A grin spread across her face as she twirled the loot between her fingers. Desdemona loved the metal's smooth surface. She took the coin and pressed it on her lips. Silently thanking Lady Odea, who she hoped turned eyes to her misdeeds, Mona placed the coin between her front teeth and bit down gently.

Real gold.

Almost as rare as black licorice ambrosia.

Desdemona threw the gold piece alongside many of the others she'd had taken. The sounds of gold clashing together in her pouch was the only motivation she needed to pull off a successful raid.

Stealing was easy.

Desdemona took pride in her skill, among many other things. In a world where magic was the sole currency, it took no effort to sneak around in the shadows like a cat in the cities of Nephris as a Traditional.

Her whole life depended on taking from others.

She thought herself to be lucky that she'd found the Tiad—or when the pirates ultimately captured her.

By the time the crooked pirate group found her, Desdemona hadn't eaten for days and exhausted all of her options: the merchants in the capital of Thetis already knew who Mona was by name and face, but they purposely deprived her basic human rights because of her blood status. As the jewel merchants shoved pricy aquamarine gemstones down foreigners' throats and tavern owners fed the city, their eyes weren't focused on Mona and her slippery fingers.

That night, she stole whatever her heart desired.
While the city danced and laughed their hearts away, Desdemona slipped inside the old gutter she called home. With a full belly and more jewels she could ever have, Mona laid her head down in the old gutter.