Chapter 5 | Jash

JASH
≿━━━━༺❀༻━━━━≾

Sleep didn't come easy.

Jash tossed and turned on his bedroll as he had the same nightmare he did every night.

The nightmare always began with him reciting his vows in front of the Night. Then, his Elder's voice echoed behind closed eyes. Finally, the real nightmare replayed over and over each time he reached deep sleep. In this nightmare, only a year after his induction night, he witnessed the murder of his family.

In the calm night, the first of many long ones, fourteen year old Jash walked in a single line with his brothers-in-arms under the peaceful sky.

Chill winds grazed the nakedness of the boys as they stomped through the woods. Spirited chanting bellowed throughout the forest. The fast beat of drums pounded the same tune as Jash's heart. The spirits from the Sacred Forest channeled themselves from the ground and poured themselves inside of Jash. That night was his to become the warrior every tribesman wanted to be.

Side by side, the younglings stood next to each other, Jash the first one in line. A tall darker skinned boy with big biceps leaned to Jash's left. He stared vacantly into the darkness.

Only a year older than himself with Tenjuian blood, Jash only saw the boy during hunting lessons. Jash didn't know his name. On Jash's right, the village's he village's self-proclaimed protector, Voesis, huffed with defiance. The boy ran rampant through the village just minutes before the induction ceremony. Jash made a mental note to stay away from that particular kid. The rest of the seven selected were other younglings found throughout Gaia. Even the tribe's chieftess allowed the Mothi child to join.

Although this year's batch of younglings seemed rough around the edges, Jash welcomed his new brothers anyhow. No matter who they were, Jash would be devoted to each and every one of them. That was the Gaian way. The thought of fighting in honor alongside his brothers gave Jash a sense of title.

Duty. Honor. The only two things that truly matter to the Jash—most importantly to Elder Andr.

Elder Andr sat on the forest floor with his legs crossed, just like the others. Each Elder being a mentor to the upcoming wolf in the Night. Kazikosi, shuffled horizontally with a mortar and a small hunting knife in her hands. The sap from the Whisper Willows glistened in the mortal. Kazikosi first stopped at Jash. She handed Jash the hunting knife.

"Jashiya, son of strength. Please recite your vows."

Jash used the hunting knife to cut a slit into the palm of his hand. Kazikosi held the mortar out for Jash. Crimson red blood dripped from his wrist as he poured the blood over the sap. The wound ached, but in a good way. He stood with his chest  upright, making direct eye contact with his Elder. Jash recited the vows he'd practiced since birth:

"...ay Andr yi mi wit, Ai cleansi mi bloo ani mi heart thi warrior wai. Shalyi ai forge m'wai, Andr shalyi bi m'judgi..."
(As Andr is my witness, I cleanse my blood and open my heart to the warrior way. Shall I forget my way, Andr shall be my judge).

Jash's Elder nodded his head in approval.

"Son of strength, what is your reborn name?"