XXI. A Cold Wind

"You aren't wearing your armour today?" You inquired to Aymeric as he walked to your side, setting a personal plate of the most mouthwatering meal by far before you on the dining room table.

To much of your surprise, he was wearing every day clothes: slick off-black pants that hugged his long legs and a brownish-grey coat with a warm blue shirt underneath. Still fit for the harshness of the cold. Honestly, he wears his usual armour-cladded attire so much, it takes you a moment to adjust to his contemporary choices. Almost as if he's a brand new man. You weren't complaining in the slightest, it was simply just nice to see him all dressed up for a change. Like to how luxuriously handsome he looked at the Ballroom of Stars. And in the back of your mind, you guessed his reason for his rare look maybe had something to do with you. Just maybe.

He set another plate aside for Ork Kha at the seat next to you. He side-eyed you with a smile, "In truth, my armour can prove to be inconvenient and heavy most of the time. I find this more comfortable, especially when I am merely unwinding with you. Plus, tis' not every day I get the chance to put the attire gathering dust in my closet onto display." He walked over to his seat on the opposite end and sat. He grabbed and looked down to the cup of tea in his hand, "In particular, my armour gives me a sense of consciousness as if I am about to be called to battle at moment's notice, so with this plain look I get to focus wholly on you."

You blinked. There was absolutely nothing plain about him. If this was your first time seeing him without knowing an inkling about the man, with these fancy clothes and good looks, you would have suspected he makes frequent visits to the Gold Saucer. He makes you seem as if you're so humble, he doesn't even see it in himself. "You look.. handsome," You held your breath, trying to abate the rising demure "Should I maybe have worn something else that is.. well.. more in style to go along with you?"

As if you didn't wear the same messy Botany-adorned vests and slops every damn day. You wavered away in thought to Ork Kha who was trying to steady herself on the chair beside. She was too big to fully sit on the chair now — she had to manage her front legs just on the seat to get enough leverage to lift her to the table properly. She scarfed down a series of sausages and breads in a matter of seconds in that toothy maw. Until Aymeric's voice brought you from your dragon distraction of your self-deprecation about personal choices of getup. 

"You look lovely, my dear. There is nothing unpleasant about your wear," He eyes softened across the way as your eyes met. "In all sincerity, it suits you quite nicely."

You pursed your lips, trying your best not to grin. Truth be told, it was odd of you to hear such a thing. Fufucha was your main influence, being she's been dressing you since you were a child. And the only other person to say you looked good was Renji. Yet he always made it a nonchalant habit to suspiciously prod you into wearing something at a dress shop every time you happen to pass one. With how unclear he was, you shrugged it off as him being playful and messing around as usual. And.. Emmanellain was just an entirely different breed of a soul. You figured he thought every woman to cross paths with him was pretty.

"Thanks.." You replied as you stared down at your leggings and boots. Not at all in appearance as if you were ready to roll around in the dirt. You cleared a nervous throat, then began working on the food before you. Your tastes buds melting as you took the first bite of an Ishgardian Muffin doused in birch syrup. There were so many matters of pastries, figs, and tarts — you figured the man had some sort of sweet tooth. You were already full just looking at it all!

Finishing about half the meal, you set your silverware down. You looked to the blue eyes of the man seemingly enjoying the fact you were delighting in his homemade cooking. His attentive eyes never tearing from your way. For a moment, you considered at how happy and at peace he appeared. And the very idea that he was staring at you with such admiration. Such deviation from the amount of darkened turmoil you have both been through the past fortnight. This was.. refreshing. No rushing. No work. No fear. You needed this. Both of you needed this.