Reputation

November 10, 2017.

One - Emma

The flashing lights and screaming people were so much worse than Emma had expected when she and Taylor stepped out of the apartment that day. No one knew Taylor was going to go outside today. People with their big cameras had been waiting outside the building since the early hours of the morning just hoping that they would be able to get a picture of Taylor on the day that the album came out. Tree had given them a rundown of what would happen when they went out to lunch today. It was going to be a lot for both of them, Emma understood that, but this was next level overwhelming. It was making her feel nauseous.

They only walked to the car that was parked out front today rather than in the garage. It was all intentional. They would walk to the car and Taylor would smile at the cameras. They would be close in a friendly way that wasn't close enough to be perceived as romantic. There was a chance that people would speculate, but the majority would brush it off as an outing between two best friends.

Freddy opened the door and pushed her in the car first. Emma watched as Taylor waved to everyone that was surrounding her and Freddy shut the door behind both of them. He walked around the car to get in the driver's seat and slowly drove through the crowd of people that were way too close to the car for it to be remotely safe. They did end up moving before Freddy got to them but Emma was seriously questioning if they were going to allow themselves to get hit by a car to maybe get a picture of Taylor.

"Is that what it always looks like when you go outside?"

Taylor shrugged. "Usually. I know it's a lot."

"No, it's not that." It was a lot, but Emma wasn't going to admit that after she had been so adamant that she was sure of what she was getting into. "I was just wondering."

"It'll probably be worse when we get to lunch. Tell me if it's too much and we can leave."

Emma shook her head. "I'll be alright, promise. Your mum called me this morning. She said we should come down so she could spend some time with her favorite child. And that I should invite you, I guess I shouldn't leave that part out."

"That's good that she wants to spend some time with Austin."

"She was talking about me." Emma deadpanned.

"I know, honey. I was kidding. I am well aware who her favorite child is. I'll call her tonight and get something figured out, yeah?"

"Yeah, that would be good. I've been thinking about going to see my mum again closer to the holidays. Would you go with me? I could give you a real tour of non-toursisty London."

Taylor smiled and squeezed her hand. "I would absolutely love that."

They sat in silence for the remainder of the short drive until Freddy handed the keys off to the valet. He opened Taylor's door and helped her out. Taylor turned around and reached her hand back in the car for Emma to take. She took it with a confused look. They were supposed to be subtle. This didn't seem very subtle.

The people here were less obnoxious. There was still a load of paparazzi around but they were being kept at a decent distance away. The people close to them didn't have any cameras on them. A few were freaking out, understandably so, but none of them were incessantly yelling questions. Taylor stopped to take a picture with them and they all smiled, thanked her profusely, and moved out of the way so that she and Emma could get on with their day.

When they sat down Taylor ended up facing the window where everyone would be able to see her. It wasn't a very private place to begin with. "Switch me seats."