Chapter 32 - Family over football

A/N - very sorry for the lack of uploads lately. Life has been extremely hard recently and I haven't been able to find the motivation/time to write. I've received a few messages asking if the book is on hold and it's not. I did consider it, but I'm going to try my hardest to be consistent with new chapters. As always, new ideas and feedback are very much appreciated. Thank you for being so patient.

Lucy Bronze's POV:

Pushing the office door open, a brunette with a confused look on her face tilted her head and frowned, "Lucy, what are you-...". I shut the heavy, wooden door behind me and took a seat in front of her, interrupting her, "Why are you ignoring me? And what the hell is going on with Rosie?". Georgia shut her laptop lid and folded her arms, "I don't know what you're talking about". I stared into her hazel eyes and pleaded, "I know something's going on...please just tell me". She narrowed her eyes, "Nothing is going on with Rosie, I promise". I turned the tone of my voice from pleading to serious, "Then what is it? Look, you can talk to me and I'll try to help with whatever it is". My daughter's girlfriend rolled her eyes, "You can't fix something that's already out of cotrol". Now it was my turn to be confused. She sighed and spoke sternly, "You can't tell Rosie". I bit my lip, not liking where our conversation was going, but agreed anyway.

After lifting her laptop lid back up again, the room fell silent while she navigated her way through the computer to find exactly what she wanted. A downcast look fell on her face, mixed with apprehension and some nerves before turning the laptop around to face me.

What appeared to be simply a collection of news articles, proved to be much, much more. Georgia explained, "These are articles published by reputable companies about Rosie's performance so far at the Euros". My eyes scanned the text and I didn't need her to tell me any more.

DID BRONZE TRY TO SABOUTAGE ENGLAND'S CHANCE AT A EUROS SEMI-FINAL?

Last night, a deflected goal gave the Swedish national under 17 team some hope at making a semi-final. Despite scoring a hattrick of goals earlier in the match, Rosie Bronze was the reason for this mistake. She appeared to purposely stick her leg in a compromising position where it helped the ball inevitably go in the back of the net for the Swedes. After a debate on twitter, over 50% believed that Lucy Bronze's daughter did this on purpose. But why? Does it have something to do with her secretive battle with mental health? Or maybe there is some tension between herself and the team? Perhaps she's not the promising England star we were all hoping for. These, and many more, are theories suggested by England fans for Rosie's surprising actions.

I raised an eyebrow, scrolling through multiple articles all criticising my daughter. And Georgia was right, the companies producing these stories were normally very accurate and truthful.

IS ROSIE BRONZE REALLY SOMEONE WE WANT PLAYING FOR OUR COUNTRY?

WHO IS THIS ROSIE BRONZE AND WHY IS EVERYONE PRAISING HER? FROM MY POINT OF VIEW, WE SHOULD BE DOING THE OPPOSITE

INSIDE ROSIE BRONZE'S PERSONAL LIFE - WHO IS THE BARCELONA STAR DATING? WHY HAS SHE SUDDENLY RISEN TO THE TOP? HOW HER EXPERIENCE WITH ABUSE SHAPED HER ENTIRE LIFE

I didn't really know what to say. Obviously it's a stab in the heart to read such awful things about my daughter, but I felt helpless. As Georgia had previously said, these articles had clearly spiralled out of control and I couldn't see a way to stop them from going further. There were at least twenty, negative stories. Not just about the match against Sweden, but they spoke about more personal things - including our family, her life before, and even Georgia.

Pushing the laptop back towards Georgia, I spoke, "I've seen enough. Does anyone else know about this?". She shook her head, "No, I've contacted all of the companies to try and bring down the articles but they haven't replied yet". I rested my chin in my hand, "You're right, there's nothing we can do apart from wait and pray that Rosie doesn't see these before her match against Spain". Georgia nodded her head slowly before speaking, "About that...I've booked a flight to Estonia...for tonight". Her statement came as a surprise, I wasn't expecting that, "Does Rosie know?". She shook her head, "I haven't spoken to her in about two weeks but I just need to make sure that she's okay".