Chapter 2

Maya ran through the doors of nineteen, breathless and covered in a sheen of sweat. She was thankful and happy for her early rising tendencies, as the building was empty of any A-shift members, and D-shift was finishing their breakfast in the beanery. It left the perfect opportunity to slip into the showers unseen.

She emerged from the steamy room, towel tied around her, happy to hear a few pleasantries exchanged in the hallway, meaning her crew was beginning to arrive and shift change was in full swing. She quickly slipped into the Captain's office unnoticed, heading straight for her bunk to unfurl her uniform from the closet.

Just as she had begun to slip her pants over her legs, standing unbuttoned in nothing but a sports bra and briefs with her pants halfway pulled up her legs, she heard the clanking of the blinds against her office door, alerting her to none other than Andy's presence, as she was the only person with a key.

Maya struggles to get her pants up to her waist in time, grunting slightly before the brunette woman whips her head around the corner into Maya's bunk, shooting the blonde a wide eyed and shocked look.

"There she is! I knew you'd be early. Gosh, we missed you!" she says, wrapping Maya up in a tightly squeezed hug.

Maya was eternally grateful for Andy stepping in as interim Captain the last few weeks, as he spent time at home with Carina. After the 20-week ultrasound, Carina had been having a difficult transition into her third trimester, as she had markers and signs for not just preeclampsia, but she had some worrisome spotting, extreme swelling and bleeding, causing Maya to go into hyperdrive and take some leave to help keep Carina safe and comfortable.

After weeks of Maya doting on her wife and tending to her every need, they had gotten Carina's blood pressure under control and she was no longer at risk for preeclampsia and baby and mama were due for their 28-week ultrasound in a few days, so Maya decided to return to work given all clear.

Well, Carina had forced Maya back to work, as watching the blonde spin around the apartment for weeks, building things and buying things and reading literally every book on earth about parenting and being a good partner through childbirth had driven the taller woman insane. She was running out of bread to bake, desserts to build and beers for Maya to try, in an attempt to both keep Maya occupied, and to stock up on home cooked meals to put in the freezer for when they came home from the hospital.

Andy pulls back, giving Maya's half dressed figure a glance and her eyes shooting even wider in shock and excitement.

"Daaaaaaamn, Bishop. I thought Carina was the pregnant one?" Andy teases, patting Maya's protruding stomach playfully, cracking up at how it slightly stuck out over the waistband of Maya's Calvin Klein briefs.

Maya blanches, huffing in annoyance as she tried to button her unfirm pants to no avail, "Oh shut the fuck up, it's not that bad, is it?" Maya says, looking at her newly formed beer belly in the full body mirror on the wall, rubbing her hand over it.

"Oh c'mon, Maya, how often am I gonna get to tease you for packing on some weight. You've been chiseled with 5% body fat since the day we met. Let me have some fun." Andy teases, smacking her arm and giggling behind Maya's reflection, watching the blonde struggle to suck her stomach in and get her pants closed.

"Oh, shit. Andy." Maya whines, letting the clasp go and exhaling, her face blushing bright red.

"Hahahaha oh my god," Andy says, tears in her eyes at this point, "Lineup is in 15 minutes and you," she snorts, "You can't even get those pants buttoned, can you?"

Maya huffs, turning from the mirror and glaring at her friend, but not for long, finding herself laughing a little too.

"Andy, you have to help me. C'mon. Please?" Maya begs, her face bright red.