Story Two: Down Goes the Bridge

It was the stormy season on Sodor, although 1972 was a particularly rough one for the island. Wind and rain battered the coastlines, with several trains on the North Mainline and The Little Western. The worst area of storming was the valleys near of the Kirk Ronan branchline. Several of the lines had been flooded by the torrential downpours, isolating the branchline from most of the NWR. The NSAC found this as a great time to strike. They drove to The Suspension Bridge spanning the broad valley of the isolated region Northeast of Kirk Ronan. They then planted explosive charges on several key supports of the bridge, and rushed back to the car. With a thundering boom, the bridge came tumbling down. In the distance, they heard a booming whistle. It was Murdoch, one of the premier goods engines for the NWR. He saw the car speeding away from the collapsing bridge, and threw on his brakes. "Good Lord, stop driver!" He shouted, as he shut his eyes tightly. He braced for impact, but it never came. He opened his eyes, to find his bogie dangling over the gap into the valley. He quickly reversed back to Kirk Ronan, raising the alarm. He told the SRC about what he saw, and they believed the NWR was being targeted by a group known as the New Sudric Affairs Coalition, a group of extremist Sudrians who wanted Sodor free from the NWR and into the modern era of roads and planes. It was ruled that the NSAC were the group behind the death of 8542. The police and military were on the prowl for the NSAC, but it would be a long time before they would be caught.