Chapter Four: Merlin's Dream

Merlin was asleep in his bed that night when he heard a crack of lightning. He jumped up, fear roaring inside him. His small figure was shaking in the moonlight, and he heard another flash of lightning. His eyes flashed gold, and he watched all the windows in his room shatter. Merlin leaped out of his bed and ran to the wall by his door. He sat down, back against the door, and his whole body shook. A sharp, piercing sound like the blaring of a siren came from his mouth as he screamed, burning tears running down his small, pale white face. Merlin's mother, Hunith, came running and opened the door. She saw Merlin, huddled in a ball on the floor, shaking violently in fear. She looked around the room and saw the tiny glass shards littering the floor. Another flash of lightning struck and Merlin jumped, his eyes flashing gold again. This time, Merlin and Hunith watched as the photo of Merlin and his father, who had left a few years ago because Uther, the king of Camelot, threatened to kill him, cracked, a line piercing through the middle of the glass frame. Merlin quivered in fear again as tears continued rolling down his small face. Hunith knew why Merlin's eyes flashed gold. He had magic, and she had to keep this hidden from Uther or she knew her son would be killed even though he was just a child. Uther didn't care about that. Why would he? She scooped up Merlin in her arms and brought him to her bed, laying him down in her arms. She rocked Merlin gently until his bright blue eyes began to grow heavy and he fell asleep in his mother's soft, warm arms.

Merlin woke up, gasping for air. Arthur heard Merlin's heavy frightened breathing and he leaned towards him, putting an arm around him.

"You ok?" Asked Arthur.

"Yeah. It was just a dream." Replied Merlin.

Arthur kept his arm around Merlin until he fell asleep on his shoulder. He took Merlin off his shoulder after a bit and held him on his lap for a moment, staring at his sleeping face, his cheeks becoming a bright rosy red again.

"He looks adorable like this. So..innocent and peaceful." Arthur thought to himself.

Arthur laid Merlin down on his bed and he curled up next to him, falling asleep instantly in Merlin's comforting arms.