Chapter Fourteen

Adrian Alcado
Niveous

Adrian woke up with no blanket, which didn't really bother him. Adrian wasn't really that cold. Sure he looked cold and his ears had pinkened, he didn't feel cold. Which wasn't new, Adrian almost never felt cold. He felt chilly if it was a windy day but never quite the cold that makes you numb. He sat up in his bed, not able to sleep any longer. It must've been around five am.

He looked over to where Sebastian was, lying next to him. The blanket thief slept soundly, twisted in the duvet. Niamh, Judyta and Amber were on the bed. Sakiya and Sion passed out early after practicing self defence with Niamh.

The fire still flickered, casting an orange glow over the room. Everyone still slept soundly so Adrian laid back down on his back. He watched the light dance around the ceiling. He tried his best to examine the ornate mural painted on the arched ceiling but it was too dark.

Next to him Sebastian snored softly. Adrian almost wanted to chuckle to himself, he could've never imagined all that has happened so far to lead him here.

He decided he should go back to sleep, or atleast try his best to. He closed his eyes, listening to the crackling fireplace and the soft breathing from Sebastian next to him.

He opened his eyes to a well lit room. The sun was up and so was Amber. She stood, wrapped in a blanket, staring out the window. Adrian cleared his throat which caught her attention, she smiled softly as if to say good morning.

Amber knew Adrian hated talking in the morning. Adrian and Amber may have a complicated past but sometimes he was thankful for it.

He looked over to the fire, barely alive. He got up and put another wooden object on the fire, when he turned around again he noticed Sebastian sitting up, rubbing his eyes.

His curly hair was all over the place but it was nothing out of the ordinary. He still wore his white button up that was a part of the uniform. He never buttoned the top two buttons but right now he has the top four unbuttoned.

Amber cleared her throat and Adrian immediately snapped his head to her direction. She was just staring at him. Judyta started to stir and Niamh sat up.

"G'morning," Niamh smiled at Amber. Amber nodded and said good morning back.

Once everyone was up, they all decided to explore the castle. Niamh, Amber and Judyta all went to the library, leaving Adrian, Sion, Sebastian and Sakiya to explore rooms.

The four of them walked down the tower stairs to the bottom floor. They were right by the kitchen and dining hall. Adrian led them down the long hallway to the foyer. There was a stone stairwell that stopped midway and divided into two stairways leading in different directions.

"What exactly are we looking for?" Sion asked, as they made their way up the staircase.

Adrian shrugged. "Notebooks, books... any information about the war and or Paisley." Adrian stopped at the midway point and decided to go up the left stairwell.

Sakiya ran her finger along the baluster before commenting, "this place is so dusty."

"No shit," Sebastian responded to her.

They reached the top of the stairs and were faced with yet another long hallway. This hallway wasn't lined with stained glass like the one downstairs, instead there were white pillars and doors. The walls were a grey stone and the ceiling homed an intricate mural of all sorts of creatures. The further into the hall, the darker it got.

Adrian randomly chose a door and opened it to reveal another bedroom. It was much lighter in there due to a massive window on the far wall. Adrian stepped inside and instructed the others to rummage through the drawers. Everyone but Sebastian listened. Sebastian instead swung open a closet door and walked inside to riffle through clothes.