Chapter Nineteen

Adrian Alcado
Niveous

Having been split up in November, it officially had been a year apart and a month away from each other. Literally nothing had happened in the war but it was rumoured that Jennifer had long returned. Adrian couldn't even process what was happening back at home with missing students and then the head mistress of the school.

Those thoughts were already reserved for when he slept at night so he pushed them aside and listened to Calcifer ordering him to place the wreath over to the left. Side didn't quite celebrate Christmas but instead Yule. To Adrian it felt all the same just like a medieval version of christmas without christian religion paraphernalia. There were many pagan traditions he'd already taken part in as preparation for the festival. He didn't quite understand the holiday but neither did he Christmas, it was an excuse to be close with people and celebrate.

Yule was only a few days away and Adrian was roped into helping decorate by Calcifer who insisted Adrian get out more.

"I swear in the isles that you are challenged when it comes to this," Calicfer sighed.

"We finally found something he's bad at," Amber noted sarcastically. Adrian jumped, almost falling off the stool. He didn't notice Amber enter the room.

"Are you here to help or make comments?" Adrian asked.

"The latter," she responded. "Came to give you your invitation to the yule ball at the castle. Apparently we're specially requested."

Calicfer snickered, "Yeah I don't think they want to piss off a future King."

"They shouldn't be making me decorate then," Adrian retorted dryly. Calcifer laughed some more.

"Actually that's all my doing."

"You work for the kingdom."

Calcifer shrugged, not arguing further.

Adrian was slightly excited to be invited to the castle. He and Amber had been in the dark about the war and were told to keep training with the OARO's (Orphic Armed Royal Officials). Aside from occasional meetups with Valerie, who was essentially in charge of the two.

Adrian stepped off the stool and accepted the letter from Amber. She also insisted he go see a tailor in town who will be taking care of an outfit. She said the sooner the better so he used that as an excuse to stop decorating with Calcifer.

Outside, the sun peeked through the clouds for once and offered some warmth from the wind. He didn't mind the temperature but he had grown quite sick of wind flinging rain into his face and soaking his clothes.

Once he entered the small shop, it smelled of cinnamon and leather. It was an odd mixture but Adrian paid no mind to it.

"Adrian Alcado?" A girl behind a counter asked. He nodded his head and she smiled brightly.

"Okay, I'll let Mr. Roosen knows you're here." She then disappeared into a back room, only to return moments later. "Okay you can sit over here and he'll be right out. He's already got an outfit prepared just so he needs to tailor everything to be more fitted on you."

Adrian politely nodded and thanked her as he sat down. It was a boring twenty minutes before Mr. Roosen emerged from the back room. He had messier hair then Sebastian, thick framed glasses and a small tape measure draped over his shoulder.

"Ah you must be the Prince."

Adrian shook his head. "No Prince. I am just Adrian Alcado."

Mr. Roosen furrowed his brows but then moved past it. "Alright Mr. Alcado. I'll grab your clothes and we'll get to tailoring in time."

And they did. Adrian had never gotten his clothes tailored before and found it quite boring to make small talk with someone measuring his calves.

It was only a few days till he stood in the castle wearing the nice suit, next to Amber who wore, obviously, a blue dress. She linked arms with him as they made their way into the dining room. They already greeted the newly appointed Queen of the Orphic Kingdom and now we're off to mingle. Adrian spotted Valerie which gave him some peace of mind in a room of strangers. A few people came up to Adrian and introduced themselves, all seeming to know his name already. So many names, faces and titles were thrown into his face that day, he remembered none.

He kept imagining he saw his friends in the crowd. Praying to any god they would have been invited for whatever reason. But this wasn't the case. It was him and Amber stood alone in a room filled to the brim with people.

Amber got them both a glass of wine and found a place to sit at the long dining table. Everyone cheered and feasted till they felt sick. Adrian slept like a baby that night.

The next night he spent out was the third day of the Yule festival and he and Amber were out with some friends. Calum and Ava joined along with Cairo.

They had lots of drinks, courtesy of Calum and they danced in the festivities of the town. Adrian actually enjoyed the night of snacking and talking to peers. He'd had many beers when he sat back down at the bench where Amber and Ava sat.

"There's a smile," Ava cheered as he sat. He tried to hide that it made him smile more. The atmosphere was happy and so inviting. "I made spiked hot chocolate," Ava winked and she handed it to Adrian. The pair finished the drink and began to participate in some games at the festival. Everything was fine till suddenly he was leant against a wall and kissed by Ava. His head was spinning and he wasn't quite sure how he got there but as quick as it started, he pulled away and spewed apologies before stumbling back into the crowds of people.

He was trying to spot Amber but he was unsuccessful. In a drunken haze, he briefly saw someone he thought was Sebastian and his chest fluttered but that was quashed when the boy turned around and wasn't Sebastian.

He felt lost and found the original bench they'd all sat on and waited. A bit later Amber found him and was ushering him back to their rooms.

"I can't take not seeing the others anymore," he rambled to her. "I seriously am going insane. I don't want to be here anymore."

Amber nodded and continued dragging him back.

"No seriously Amber, I can't do this any longer." He stopped dead in his tracks. Amber stopped and turned to see the fragile boy. "This was only meant to be temporary."

Amber looked down and frowned. "Yeah. And it is temporary. This will be done soon, I'm sure," she said, trying to offer a smile.

"But what if we separate even more. What if I have to go run a kingdom? Will you come with me?" He asked. Amber was a bit taken aback by the question.

All that ran through Adrians mind was he was lonely and he couldn't lose anyone else. Nobody else understood the challenges he faced as the son of the villain in this war.

"I will," she replied.

"Do you promise?"

"I promise that I will go to the Niveous Kingdom with you if they ship you off."

And with that, he was satisfied.

He laid in bed that night