Chapter Twenty-Two

Amber Young
Orphic

The six stood together in front of the Amaranthine Queen. Next to the Queen stood armoured guards and what seemed to be some sort of royal adviser. Vareena and Niamh stood with them, ready to discuss their next steps.

Amber silently prayed to the gods she didn't believe in, that nobody would be split up.

The Queen smiled before speaking. "With everyday that passes, we are a day closer to the Fērox planned attack. My soldiers have been able to gather some information to help us prepare. We believe the attack will be in less than a month," she began. "The Amaranthine Kingdom has doubled in soldiers, with support from the Triple Alliance and all borders of the land are being heavily patrolled. The goal of the Efferus would presumably be to overtake the kingdom so we must do everything we can to avoid surrendering to them." She paused to gather her thoughts. "I would like you all here for that day, as they will likely attack the strongest then. After that, they will likely continue to surprise attack us but I plan to send you to the Niveous Kingdom and do everything to protect it."

"Your Majesty, if we have doubts we can protect this Kingdom, how will we protect the Niveous Kingdom with limited soldiers and supplies?" Vareena asked the Queen.

"Currently I have soldiers there preparing the grounds. It will become a refuge for those who will inevitably lose their homes. Fērox soldiers are infamous for burning down villages in attempts to run people out of the Kingdom and out into the forests."

By forests, Amber assumed she meant the dark forest. It was in the middle of the continent and separated the kingdoms. From what Amber understood, it was not an ideal place to be. The plants and species there make it completely inhabitable and impossible to overtake.

She'd never been there. Even travelling to the Niveous Kingdom, they were able to cut through the Fērox Kingdom but now it was likely they'd have to travel through it to get to the Niveous Kingdom.

"Not everything is completely sorted yet but we need to make sure the Efferus doesn't gain anymore land." The Queen further explained. "Adrian, I'd like to appoint you head of the Kingdom."

Silence fell upon them as everyone turned to look at Adrian. He opened his mouth to respond but never did.

"You are the heir."

He simply nodded. Very few people knew who Adrian was. Back in the Orphic Kingdom, nobody knew the main enemy in this war was his mother.

"Very well. In the meantime, you are all to partake in army preparations. Moon here will show you where to go. You are dismissed."

Moon was another hooded Amaranthine soldier with no distinct features visible. They wore dark purple cloaks and carried a long silver sword.

"Vareena, stay for the meeting we have planned," The Queen added. Vareena nodded as Moon led the group outside the throne room.

They walked to the training grounds of the kingdom. Niamh called over to Cherry, catching their attention.

Amber had no idea how Niamh recognized them in the sea of cloaked Amaranthine soldiers.

Moon then picked a small dagger from somewhere inside their cloak and cut a small line on the back of their hand. Please don't be a blood cult thing.

"Adrian, the Queen asked for you to perform your blood ability." Moon held out his now bleeding hand.

Adrian stared, clearly trying to hide any shock. Poker face was a big thing they were taught back at the Orphic Kingdom.

He looked at Amber briefly. She was sure he was mortified. Amber knew him enough to know he hated the idea of the blood ability. She knew he'd practiced it with a special teacher back in Pernox but never asked about his progress.