Saved Us

Requested by Perennial99

If India could win the next match against Pakistan then they would qualify for the Super four...if not they will have to win the match against Nepal or they will be disqualified from the Asia Cup

So it's understandable that the tensions were a bit high at the training ground. Ishan was cracking jokes every opportunity to calm down his teammates. Shubman just observed him from a distance smiling.

"Ishan !! Stop man...this is not a time for jokes..Focus on your training !! " Rohit scolded as he saw Ishan and Shreyas trying bottle flips.

Shubman immediately noticed the downcast look in Ishan's eyes. Rohit was tensed, Ishan understood that but still being shouted at by your senior when you are only trying to help hurts.

Later Shubman and Ishan got to their shared bedroom and played fifa, even after repeated warnings from their seniors to retire early to bed.

"So" Ishan spoke while trying to run past Shubman's defenders with the ball "how are you feeling about the match tomorrow ?" before Shubman could reply he continued "you have nothing to worry about you are going to do amazing I know it..:

Shubman smiled at him "What about you ?"
He asked instead

"What ?"

"You have been making sure everyone is doing good and are not tensed about the match but what about you are you okay..are you worried ?"

"Umm..I mean I guess a little worried...not about the match per say but about my personal performance.."

"Why is that ?"

"Tomorrow will be a good opportunity for me to proof me abilities.."

"You have already done that...you have shown how good of a player your are, several times in fact.."

Ishan kept his controller down and turned to face Shubman. He looked at Shubman, took a deep breath and said "Shub..I am scared"

"What about ? " Shubman now turned towards Ishan as well and placing one hand on his knees.

"I...I like to open..I am comfortable in that position..it's scary when I have to play down the board...it's not like I haven't done that before but it is still scary everytime..I just can't seem to get used to it..."

"I don't think you have to worry about anything...you are amazing as an opener of course but you do good in the middle order as well...you don't have to worry..you have the abilities to do good at any position"

Ishan scooted closer to Shubman as he picked his controller back up. Shubman resonated the action and gently pulled Ishan's head to his shoulder.

"You know Rohit bhai wasn't actually mad right ?...he is just a little stressed..he will apologize when he has calmed down"

"I know that of course....I understand"

"God we really need you in every team...whether you are playing or not you keep the players spirits high..And that is really important..a lot more than people think.."

"You give me too much credit.."

"Well you deserve all of it and more..."

Shubman was sad when Rohit got out in the beginning overs. He got a little scared when Virat was dismissed as well. The first few balls with Iyer made him feel like they could still turn the game around but when Shreyas got caught out on a short ball Shubman got actually worried.

48 for 3 if things kept going the way they were this would be an incredibly embarrassing inning for the Indian team..

With the conversation they had last night Shubman expected Ishan to be down right terrified right now as he walked into the field. And so in his head he was thinking of things he could say to him to calm him down.