eight.

~ Andi's POV ~

"Bok!!" Came from a source that almost sounded like a... chicken?

A chicken? "Bok!!!" Another one?

Upon the realization that the sound was nearing me, I was awakened by the thought that I was not in the comforts of my home.

I looked around and saw the small tent I had prepared for myself the night before. Oh right, I thought.

I reached out for my phone to check the time: 6:00 a.m, it read.

It's still early, I thought.

Not until I heard voices from outside my tent, urging me to look at the source of the noises.

There stood possibly every member of the community, preparing for breakfast.

Instinctively, I stepped out of my tent to look around.

I witnessed wives scolding their husbands as they multitasked with preparing breakfasts, caring for their children, and instructing their partners to set up the tables.

I witnessed how everyone had designated roles.

I witnessed how seemingly disorganized everything seemed to have been.

Yet it somehow led to order.

In one corner, there was Scoups who had Zini in his arms as he conversed effortlessly with an old lady.

I took the time to observe him once again.

He didn't look like he was enjoying himself because he actually was enjoying himself.

I was brought back to our conversation last night and just when I was about to let my thoughts wander, I was interrupted by the man of the hour.

It was Scoups, waving at me to come over.

As soon as I got there, he greeted me with his gummy smile, "So how was your first night?"

Looking around, I noticed how the people around us seemed to have stopped what they were doing to hear my response, "It was great."

At that, I, along with everyone else released a breath of relief.

Satisfied with my response, Scoups looked at the old woman and spoke, "Lola, this is Andi. She's one of the people who will be staying with us in the coming months." He said with enthusiasm.

Lola? I thought to myself. How was that possible? Were they blood-related in some way?

I looked back at the old lady who seemed to be waiting for my response. I cleared my throat, "Um nice to meet you po" I said, as respectfully as I could.

She only smiled in acknowledgment. Weird, I thought.

"It's eating time!!!" A loud voice saved me from the somewhat awkward encounter.

In less than a second, I was urged by other community members to get food. As the guests, we had been given the blessing to do the honors of starting the meal.

I looked at the food in front of us. There were boiled eggs, rice, and a small serving of meat.

Assuming that it was the first serving for today's breakfast, I took enough for myself and to ensure that there were also enough for the people behind me.

As soon as we finished getting, everyone else followed along.

I was so busy devouring my food that I failed to notice what then became the highlight of my morning.

If only I had noticed earlier.

Because not everyone was getting food.

As my eyes went on a quest to look for a certain someone, I was surprised to notice that he was not in line to get food

Instead, he was in front, serving others.

At the sight, I felt like drowning in my seat.

Because I saw the worried faces of the people at the back of the line.

I saw how the people serving were frantically counting how many had not been served.

I saw how what I assumed to be the initial serving of breakfast was actually the only batch of food.

The limited supply of food was good for about 20 people only but there were clearly more than 50 people in the area.

How in the world would this fit?

I was curious about their game plan but what surprised me more was the reaction of the man in charge of serving food.

Scoups who had a smile on his face was able to successfully distribute food to the very last person in line.

It obviously wasn't enough to fill the stomachs of everyone but it was enough to satisfy their hunger.

"He somehow makes it work all the time huh?" I heard 2 men talking to one another as they too observed Scoups.

So this isn't the first time this has happened and also seeing the lack of reaction from everyone else, this seemed to be a daily occurrence.

I was glad that the food arrangement worked out but I found one thing quite bothersome about the entire situation.

Scoups had nothing left for himself.

But he still had the brightest smile on his face.

However, it wasn't his enthusiasm that bothered me.

It was the statement he had told me the night prior.

~ Flashback ~

"Not to down the festive mood, but whatever happens after tonight, please give this community a chance." Scoups said a little above a whisper.

"What?" I asked, caught off guard.

"Give them a chance." He ended with a small smile.

~ End of Flashback ~

I was mistaken. I thought I knew what he meant by giving this community a chance. I thought it was as simple as immersing myself in their lives.

But it was opening my eyes to their realities.

Coming to terms with the fact that I didn't know a single thing about the community.

At that, I was drawn to the thought of knowing the untold truths behind not just who Scoups has become but most especially the community Seb has identified himself with.

What was the obvious I desperately made myself believe in? How had it differed from reality?