Mean Girls and Mixed Signals

Chapter 15

"He's hot" Ariana whimpered, holding my phone and staring at Zac's picture. Everyone laughed except Sia. I turned to her and see her jaw clench slightly. Soon enough she felt my gaze on her. She dropped her irritated expression she smiled at me. I smiled back confused.

"Oh my god! Trinity, just lend me to him okay? Please" Ariana yelled.

"Sorry babe, he's mine" I winked at her. Putting a fry in my mouth and munching on it.

"You're mean" Ariana grumbled.

"What are you Ana, five?" Leo asks, bumping Ariana with his arm. She grumbled and shifted away from him. I shake my head at them.

"Leo" Sia whined. Trying to grab Leo's attention back to her. Since we were only five at our table today she was not getting the attention properly. Such a cry baby. I thought.

"You know Robert has been saying pretty bad things about you" Debbie whispers. Only audible enough for us to hear.

"I just know that I'll castrate him if he makes things tough for me." I muttered looking around the cafeteria for him and his group, but the stupid backbitćher was no where near us. He was a pathetic person. A people pleaser. He'd praise you when you're in front of him and blame you once you turn back.

Debbie sighed. "I know right, I dont even know what his problem is. Stuart is really fine with it. I mean he was expecting you to break up with him."

I sipped on my coke and nodded. Debbie has always been defensive about Stuart. He was her best friend after all, and she was a good friend of mine too. I didn't want her to face the dilemma of choosing between me and him. I stayed quiet even when I knew Robert, being Stuart's sidekick, doesn't have the backbone to speak against me. Stuart has been backing him up.

But I would never drag Debbie in this, what's between me and Stuart doesn't concern her.

"I think you have a crush on Stuart" Sia said abruptly. Loud enough to turn everyone's attention to her.

I choked on my coke briefly before turning to her. She was not even participating in our conversation and we were barely whispering. You could only hear us if you were paying attention closely.

"What no!" Debbie exclaimed.

My mind was still buzzing about Sia's interference in our conversation but I decided to ignore it.

"Oh my God! Debbie" Ariana squealed making Leo put his hand on his ears.

"Oh no no no! This is not happening" Debbie groaned clearly panicked from the sudden change in topic.

My phone beeped in Ariana's hands making me jump and grab my phone. I quickly unlocked my phone and saw Zac's message asking if I ate or not. An 'aww' passed through my lips and just like that, everyone's eyes were on me.

"Did you just aww-ed?" Ariana asked raising his eyebrows.

I'm sure my face was scrunched up. I never aww-ed! I never ever made out this girly noises.

"She's a gone case" Leo muttered popping a chunk of watermelon in his mouth.

"Look whose speaking!" I said sweetly pointing between him and Sia.

He groaned and face palmed himself. That's right. I thought smugly. "I'm not in the mood to get teased now. So bye to the replicas of mean girls" He hissed before turning to leave.

"I don't understand why you don't give the poor boy a chance" Ariana asked turning to Sia. "You keep giving him mixed signals." She accused.

This was Ariana for you. Her brain works a little late. So half of the time she understands what she speaks a while later. She even laughs at the jokes after we all are done laughing.

I turned to look at a stone faced Sia. She was at a loss of words.

"About time" I heard Debbie whisper under her breath.

"Yeah Ariana is right" I spoke. I managed to overlook the topic before but I could see Leo pretty much hurt today. He is an easy going guy but hey, humans have limits. He has feelings too.

"I don't like him that way. He's like my brother" Sia finally spoke.

"Well then I guess its high time you clarify that to him." I said standing up. The lunch was about to end and the cafeteria was slowly getting empty.

"Yeah, if you keep clinging to him, he'll never move on like that" Debbie said.

The bell rang with that. "Debbie you coming?" I asked. Debbie and I shared our biology class together after lunch. Hence we always went together.

She nodded while I muttered a bye to Ariana and Sia. "Think about it" I added for Sia and picked my bag on my shoulder.

She was my best friend, but Leo was too. I just cant sit back and see one getting harmed in the long run. Because if Sia continued this way Leo would sure end up that way.

I didn't even realize that I was in the hallway until Debbie tugged on my arm. "What are you doing this weekend?"

I blushed beetroot red at her question. Never in my life had I felt so shy. But it was no point in hiding from her. Since Zac will be picking me up from our tuitions. Everyone was bound to know.

"I'll be going on my first date" I muttered. Chewing on my lips.

"Oh my god! Oh my god! Oh my god!" She chanted repeatedly

My eyes widened like saucers as I saw the juniors and our class mates staring at us. "Shut up Debbie" I hissed.

She just ended up squealing more. I sighed before grabbing her hand and dragging her to the class. Hoping that the glares of our teacher would stop her.

• • •

"Leo!" I call as loud as I can when I see him walking down the campus of our school. He stops and turns to me. "Where have you been?" I ask panting when I finally reach him.

"Classes" He says nonchalantly. I give him my famous glare in return. "Okay yes, I have been hiding from you all." He confesses.

I sigh. Suddenly the chaos of the school being over feel so much louder. We both turn to see some commotion going on. "What the hell, that's Alex" Leo exclaims rushing to the crowd that has gathered.

"What the fućk is she doing here!" I groan before following him.

The crowd separates as we enter the place of action. Alex holds Robert by his collar and Cade, my brother, stands by her side, completely open mouthed.

"You're the biggest piece of shít I've ever seen!" She says kneeing him right on his stomach.

Everyone in the crowd grimaces just by the sound. But some people scream. Curious enough, I turn to see Stuart and his friends held down by my brother's friends. I slowly take in all their faces and shake my head. Not even half of the gang.

"Alex!" I holler urgently, at least before she makes Robert impotent with all the kicks she's been throwing.

"What the fućk are you doing here?" I ask once I'm close enough and I have her attention.

"You remember the last party we went to?" She asks, her eyes still focused on Robert and her grip on his collar.

I nod, raising my eyebrows.

"This asshóle took a picture of me changing, and he thought that he'll fućking blackmail me with it! Stupid piece of-" She paused for throwing another kick on his forcibly lowered face by her hands. "Shít" She completed.

I scoffed. This was something expected from Robert. "Go on" I said before turning to proceed to my brother. I knew I could've stopped Alex and saved Robert but he was too much of a liar for his own good.

And I hated such liars.