Ch.3

3rd POV

*Sometime Later*

The two simply chatted until they nodded off after the lights went out once more. Still, the light was on when Savva woke up again. Brian had already woken up and was munching on some cooked meat. Brian merely glared as they exchanged glances.

As he finished the meat, the lights flickered, the door opened, and there stood the masked man holding a sharp knife. He gave Savva a quick look before glaring at Brian. He appeared enraged and was breathing heavily. Fearing what might come next, Brian's breath caught as he fixed his gaze on the man wearing a mask. He advanced on Brian with a heavy gait. With a soft grunt, the man stopped in front of Brian and gestured for him to stand. With a nod, Brian stood up gradually, his hands trembling. The man in the mask grabbed Brian's left wrist roughly and brought it closer. He lowered the blade to his arm and ran it lightly over his skin before applying more pressure. As the blade drew blood, Brian winced, and Savva looked on in angst. The man started etching letters into Brian's skin. Selfishit read.

"I—are you talking about the food?" His voice trailed off as he questioned The man released Brian's arm and grunted as if to say yes. "He told me to eat it all." He lied, to which the masked man glanced back at Savva as though to inquire if this was true. Savva hesitated, lowering his gaze as he nodded. However, the response didn't seem to meet his needs, so he moved away from Brian and hurried over to Savva. Savva let out a painful cry as he grabbed his hair angrily, forced him to stand, and pushed him against the wall. Lifting his knife to Savva's cheek, he lightly grazed it against his cheekbone, leaving a tiny cut.

"Please." He pleaded with the man in the mask with tears in his eyes. He was in excruciating pain in the back of his head from being previously struck. Withdrawing his blade, the man let go of his hair and reached down to rest his free hand loosely on the nape of his neck. There were only a few inches separating him and the masked man. Savva had rarely seen someone so close to him, so when he looked into the man's dark eyes, a chill ran down his spine, his breath caught, and he lowered his head. With a small grunt, the man in the mask leaned over Savva and pressed his other hand against the wall while holding his blade. He leaned close to Savva, his pig skin mask's snout grazing his ear. Savva held his breath and squeezed his eyes shut.

"Liar." With a deep, raspy voice, the man wearing a mask growled out, making it clear that he had been silent for some time. The grip on Savvas nape became tighter before the man pushed him further into the wall and backed up, obviously irritated by this whole situation. He glared at the two men one last time before turning around and leaving the room, shutting and locking the door behind him. Upon his departure, both men exhaled deeply in relief and collapsed to the ground. The room is thick with tension. Given that the man doesn't often feed them, Brian felt bad for not sharing the food with Savva.

"I wasn't trying—" Brian began, then stopped, at a loss for words.

"Shit happens; Ill get over it." Savva said it with a casual tone. Though he could understand Brian's standpoint, he was offended that Brian had not shared the food. There was a brief period of silence before Savva said, "He knew I was lying." Brian gave him a bewildered glance, as though he wasn't sure what he meant to say. "He whispered the word Liar.' Savva continued. Brian just sat there, thinking for a long moment. However, the quiet was broken by the flickering light, the door opening, and the masked man entering again. But this time, he was carrying something: a paper plate with a sandwich on it. The man approached Savva and stopped in front of him, his imposing masculine frame looming over him. He crouched down in front of Savva, his arms resting on his knees. Savva's light green eyes were met with the dark eyes of the masked man. The man looked at Savva as though he knew what to do, but after a few silences, he grunted in frustration and nodded toward the plate. Savva cast a suspicious glance at the plate, wondering if the sandwich was tainted. His hesitation only made the masked man more enraged. The man let the plate fall to the ground, then used his right hand to grab the sandwich and his other hand to hold Savvas jaw. He groaned slightly in pain and attempted to pull away, but the man's hold was too tight. The man in the mask gave Sava a warning look as he gazed into his eyes with great intensity. But Savva hesitated, realizing the man was no longer wearing gloves; the man's hands were surprisingly clean. The man shoved the sandwich into Savva's mouth, forcing him to bite and interrupting his train of thought. Savva began to choke and tried to spit it out, but the man covered his mouth with his hand, keeping it shut. He went on, breathing deeply through his nose while coughing, his eyes beginning to water. When he eventually finished eating, the man released Savva's mouth. Finally able to breathe via his mouth, Savva released panting breaths. Brian sat in confusion across the room, having never received anything but disgusting meat or scraps. Savva accepted the sandwich that the man held out to him. Thank you. He breathed as he started consuming more of the sandwich.

Confused over his remarks, the man looked at Savva. It was new ground for him because no one had ever 'thanked' him before. He grunted softly, acknowledging his words. For several minutes, he remained squatting there, observing Savva with curiosity. But after a short while, he picked up the plate and got to his feet. He turned to face Brian and held up two fingers. When Brian realized what that meant—he would have to go without food for two days—he froze. The man then made his way out of the room, letting the quiet take over.

With just under half of the sandwich remaining, Savva cast a quick glance toward Brian.

"Do you want it?" Holding it out to Brian, Savva questioned. He was hungry, but this was nothing new to him—he was always the kind of person who put the needs of others before his own. Brian glanced over and rolled his eyes. With a hint of remorse gnawing at the back of his mind, Savva simply nodded and kept eating.

*******

I know this book has been weird so far, and there hasn't really been any romance yet, but there will be so have patience lol.

-Azaria/Calypso