13. 𝘪𝘨𝘯𝘰𝘳𝘢𝘯𝘤𝘦 𝘪𝘴 𝘣𝘭𝘪𝘴𝘴

author's note: this might be my favourite chapter so far!

I didn't get much sleep last night, mainly due to the excitement of finding the gold. I still can't quite believe we found it. That much money has the power to change our lives forever. Obviously I haven't told my parents, mainly because I doubt they'd believe me. But the minute we get that money I'll do whatever it takes to find Maggie. I'll pay for the best private investigator, I'll pay the police to reopen the case, I'll buy a boat and search for her myself if I have to.

So given the lack of sleep, it was safe to say I thought I was still dreaming when I was woken up by the sound of stones hitting my window frame. And I certainly thought I was dreaming when I got up to open the curtain, seeing Rafe outside my house, leaning against his car.

So I quickly got dressed, chucked on a kanji green bikini, along with a pair of denim shorts and a pale yellow vest. I comb through my hair, leaving it natural thanks to the curls left by my braids last night.

Once I'm dressed I rush downstairs, heading my parents chatting in the kitchen, slipping straight out of the front door before they can ask any questions. I walk down the steps, trying to appear as casual as possible as I approach Rafe.

"Hi," I grin as I reach him.

"Hi." He smiles.

"What brings you here?" I ask.

"You," He replies, scratching the back of his neck, "Obviously."

"Is that right?" I smirk, stepping closer to him, placing my hands on his shoulders, "And what would you have done if I wasn't here?"

"I would've found you, eventually." He sighs, putting his hands on my hips as he leans back against the car, looping his fingers through the belt loops on my shorts.

"I'm busy this afternoon, but I think I can fit you into my busy schedule this morning." I tell him, remembering that John B said we'll be heading to the pawn shop later.

"Busy schedule my ass." He grins, pulling me closer by my belt loops and kissing me softly.

"What do you want to do?" I ask, toying with the hair at the nape of his neck.

"More of this would be ideal." He mutters, proceeding to kiss me again.

"I've got a better idea." I tell him, pulling away slightly.

"What's better than this?" He asks.

"Let's surf." I smile.

"Don't you want to do something else?" He sighs, scratching the back of his neck.

"No, I want to surf," I tell him, "And if you do this, I won't make you take me out for that bet that you lost."

"I can't surf." He mutters.

"What do you mean?" I ask.

"I mean I don't know how to surf." He tells me.

"You live on the Outer Banks and you don't know how to surf?" I reply, trying my best not to laugh.

"I never really did that as a kid." He tells me.

"I can teach you." I offer.

"I'm not sure, Sid." He sighs.

"Please." I smile eagerly.

"Fine." He huffs.

"You're going to love it, I promise." I grin.

"Sidney?" I turn around to see my Dad walking down the driveway, Rafe quickly removing his hands from my waist, "Who's this?"

"This is my friend, Rafe," I begin to explain as he reaches where Rafe and I are standing, feeling awkward knowing how unsure Rafe had been about meeting my parents, "Rafe, this is my dad."