ʚϊɞ ep. 8: surrounded by friends

¸.• ʚϊɞ • song of the chapter • ʚϊɞ • .¸

"The View Between Villages" by Noah Kahan

Ladybug transports herself from rooftop to rooftop, leaving Alya and the clothes and wig behind for when she gets back. Tikki didn't really accuse Marinette of being selfish for transforming into Ladybug for this, but the guilt of it nudges her all the same.

The Agreste Mansion sits in front of her, and she perches on the edge of a neighbouring roof to spot Adrien's room. The long, high window panes gleam back at her and she can just barely spot a lone figure pacing back and forth through it.

The last time she was in his room...

"The ball!"

Gasp.

"Of the dog!"

Gasp.

"Felix!"

Ladybug shakes the memory away, but the feeling of that terrifying moment lingers. She leaps through one of the open windows, rolling onto the floor and back into a standing position. Felix–Adrien gapes at her, and she hesitates at the amount of emotion warring in his eyes. Many people feel differently about her, but the way he looks at her feels familiar.

"Your friends were so adamant on getting you out of the house, they called me," Ladybug says with amusement.

This seems to snap him out of the stupor. "I'm lucky to have them." Adrien slings his bag over his shoulder. "Thank you for coming," he adds hastily.

She gestures for him to approach, and says, "It's really no problem."

"I thought you have fancy superhero stuff to do, you seem busier lately," he says, coming to her side.

Ladybug lets out a sigh. "You have no idea."

Swinging her arm around his waist, she jumps and launches them to the next rooftop. The wind blows aggressively in their ears, and she is pretty aware of his eyes constantly flitting to her.

"Can you give me some kind of an idea?" he asks suddenly, "of your busy life. I was just worried, you know, after the last time I saw you."

"He has the yo-yo!"

Gasp.

"And that means..."

Gasp.

"He has the miraculous!"

Ladybug brings them to the balcony that leads directly into her room as Marinette, where Alya waits. Releasing him and taking a couple steps back, inhaling deeply, and says, "I have a life outside of being a superhero, and even that sometimes grows overwhelming."

"I feel that much of the time," he admits, rubbing a hand behind his neck.

She studies him and the weight that has seemed to be holding him down many of the school days recently. "About the 'fancy superhero' stuff," she goes on with a sly smile.

He perks up, eyes meeting hers. Ladybug's smile drops. She contemplates telling him the truth, hoping for more advice, but thinks against it. Instead, she goes with, "It's a work in progress." Adrien tilts his head a little, as if not expecting that answer. She doesn't wait for him to ask more questions, and says, "Have fun with your friends, bug out!"

ʚϊɞ

Adrien climbs down the ladder leading to Marinette's bed. The interaction with Ladybug plays repeatedly in his mind. He didn't think she was struggling for the longest time, but it wasn't until seeing her have that panic attack in his room that he saw how much pressure she was truly under.

Marinette comes stumbling through the trap door, out of breath. Alya simply raises an eyebrow, leaning against Nino. Adrien smiles, a real one, seeing the bag of supplies in Marinette's hand and thinking of the amount of trouble they went into just to hang out with him. He truly is lucky.

"Okay," Marinette says breathlessly, tossing the bag onto the chaise lounge. "Fel–ahem, sorry, allergies. Adrien, there are clothes and a wig for you to put on."

He reaches forward and grabs the bag. Adrien remembers changing behind a pink cover when he and Juleka did that photo shoot. There it is. As he goes behind it and begins the process of changing, Adrien listens to their conversation.

"Mari, I've never seen you in anything sporty before," Nino comments.

Alya snorts while Marinette says, "Leggins and a track sweat-shirt seemed like the right choice for laser tagging." Adrien imagines his best friend probably nodding. She then adds, to his surprise, "Besides, it'll make beating you and Adrien all the more easier."

"My man and I've got this covered, you ladies are in for it," Nino says back.

Alya laughs again. "You haven't seen Mari in action before."

"If she's as clumsy in laser tagging as she is in real life, it should be a piece of cake."

"Well–"

"Alya," Marinette cuts her off. "Let's not reveal all our eggs in the basket." 

He's never seen Marinette in action before, Alya was correct, but he can only imagine how Alya is going to be in the field–especially being Rena Rouge. But, he admittedly, is on Nino's side concerning Marinette, it's hard to imagine her doing anything with precision of physical activity.

Coming out from behind the cover, Adrien awkwardly holds the black-haired wig in his hands. "I'm unsure of how to do this."

Alya nudges Marinette forward. "She knows how."

With a tentative smile, Marinette takes the wig from him. She grabs what looks to be a hair net from the wig. "Can you hold this please?"

She hands him the wig before beginning to brush his hair from his forehead. The sensation makes his eyes close in peaceful content. It almost makes him sleepy. She fits the hair net over his head, and gently shoves escaping hair into it.

When she takes the wig from his hands, he opens his eyes again. Her lips are pursed and eyebrows furrowing in concentration, reminding him of Ladybug. Adrien notices some freckles dotting her nose and cheeks, very faint and hard to see but there nonetheless. He then watches her eyes, which flicker back and forth to analyze her work. He feels the comfortable fit of the wig, and grins. She really did find a solution.

"That should hold," she says, taking a step back. Cold air replaces where she once was.

"Alright, ready to go?" Alya asks, already walking to the trap door.

Adrien gestures to his bag. "Where do I leave this?"

Marinette points to the chaise lounge. "There should be good."

He tosses the bag onto the cushion before following them down the ladder, excitement bubbling in his chest. 

Life has been so busy as of late. I'm so overwhelmed. But we got this, it's okay. I'm so excited for you guys to read the next chapters hehe. 

Have a great day/night wherever you are!

– The Fangirl

[fanart by bluebellprincess]