6. The Poker Game

He knew this life was wrong, yet he always tried to be a good person

He knew this life was wrong, yet he always tried to be a good person. But the longer he spent in this room, inhaling smoke and the tang of alcohol, he felt as if he was becoming someone he couldn't recognise

////////////////////////////////////////////

Jason crossed his arms, standing in the back of the dingy, suffocating room. Music from the Cronos club next door broke through the silence, as the praetors and centurions of the fourth legion stared each other down across the table.

Jason's eyebrows furrowed as more puffs of smoke wafted over to where he stood, overseeing the poker game between his superiors. Chips tossed across the board, the shuffling of cards and the scent of whiskey had become a staple of his day.

Plucked straight from the fifth Barack, where he had spent most of his time working as a cyber security analyst, he was now locked in a room with intoxicated men and scantily clothed women hoping their partner would win big, and they would be compensated for their support.

However, supervising this activity was not his main purpose. No, it was selling his soul to the highest bidder.

Jason's task was to ensure that tempers never flared, or when they did, that the tension wouldn't escalate. All he had to do was ensure that the highest-ranking member won the game. And with a simple sleight of hand or suggestive look, it was an easy task...most of the time.

He hated it. He hated this whole damn organisation. But when he was approached by Reyna Avila Ramírez-Arellano to be the supervisor, he was not in a position to say no.

Because if he did disagree with the demands of his superiors, Jason would probably be dead In a ditch somewhere. Even if he wasn't, he didn't want to tempt fate and find out.

Octavian, the praetor of the fourth legion, was supposed to be the victor of the game. Having ensured his winning by paying handsomely to Reyna, who did give Jason some compensation.