5. Gunshots and Rain

She was on her feet in an instant, sending a rain of bullets towards the assailants

She was on her feet in an instant, sending a rain of bullets towards the assailants. Some fell, some shouted and blood showered the sky.

///////////////////////////////////////////

Blood thrummed in her ears and anger coursed through her as Annabeth once again set off on a quest to placate her fury.

In her defence, what was she supposed to do?
Annabeth couldn't very well allow a coward like Octavian to get away with putting a hit on her.

Luke had told her not to cause more issues, so she wouldn't. She was going to solve her problems instead. She would lie about feeling sorry, apologise for hurting Octavian's men and his face, and use it as an excuse to have him annul their engagement.

She'd arrived at Octavian's mansion, where she was informed that he was probably at the warehouses. So that's where she went next, only to be cornered by a dozen or so men, some of whom claimed to be furious about their last encounter.

"Like I said, your praetor's been expecting me," Annabeth said sweetly, trying to sidestep the large group before her, "Now if you all just move aside-''

"Is that so, little girl?" one of them sneered, blocking her path, "well our boss didn't say nothin about your visit''

"It was just a spur-of-the-moment thing," Annabeth shrugged, "Can't I visit my fiance in peace?"

"Boss doesn't want you here," drawled someone, "He told us he hates you, bitch."

"Then surely he wouldn't mind us havin' a little fun with her," a voice snickered.

Annabeth's heart hammered in her chest, as the group seemed to flank around her in a tight circle. "Lay a finger on me, I'll have your head," she said, fingers drifting towards her gun.

"Relax blondie, the boss told us not to kill ya," someone said.

"But he never told us to not make ya pay," finished another man, with a rather disfigured nose. Annabeth distinctly remembered punching it.