11. Moping around

She'd been that very same girl before

She'd been that very same girl before. It's a feeling she didn't want to revisit.

////////////////////////////////////////////

Piper was having a particularly horrid day. She'd failed to find and dispatch a target she'd been trailing all week, and her Cohort had chewed her out publicly.

If that wasn't humiliating enough, someone had found the man sitting idly at a bus station, and taken him out. Which further highlighted Piper's 'incompetence'

It didn't matter that Piper had already killed 6 people this week...she made one mistake. And that was something she wasn't allowed to do.

Piper hugged her arms as she walked down the dingy alley, headed to the Bacchus Bar.

Hey, she was having a horrible day. The least she could do was drown out her misery with alcohol and gossip with her best friend.

Her plans of getting wasted- the only thing she'd planned for the week- came to a startling halt. a low wolf whistle broke her out of her thoughts.

"Hey sexy," Michael Kahale snickered, leaning against the alley wall. With him were three men, with equally predatory glances.

Piper tried not to groan. The last thing she needed was to deal with a praetor, the second in command to Octavian nonetheless.

"Praetor," she grated out, suddenly feeling colder than before. The cut of her dress wasn't designed to cover skin. Nor leave a lot to the imagination.

"Do you need help with that dress of yours?" he drawled, pushing off the wall and walking towards her.

His minions had her surrounded.

"I think I'll manage," Piper said, as composed as she could be. Her heart raced, begging her to run. There was no way she could take out so many men.

She was used to proximity fighting, and usually just a single target. Two, If she was unlucky. But seldom more than that.

"I'm sure you can," he sneered, eying her as if she were meat on a platter, "you are your father's daughter after all."