Prologue

I sit in an cream armchair pushed against the window. The love of my life sits in the matching chair beside me, our hands linked in a vice like grip. I gaze up at him through my eyelashes , his face is contoured with deep wrinkles but he's still the same man I met and married all those years ago.

A quartet of young faces sit at our feet, our grandchildren, two boys and two girls watch us with wonder spread on their young faces. The innocence they possess opening doors to a certain curiosity. The youngest, a blonde haired, blue eyed beauty is the first to talk.

"Grandma, please can you tell the story again?" She questions excitedly, bouncing on her knees.

"Well of course sweetheart, its by far my favourite story." I answer smiling at the young girl "Would you like to tell it darling?"

My husband gazes at me, sipping at the floral cup of tea in his slightly shaking hands. He smiles lovingly, the same smile he gave me so many years ago. He looks tired, worn out from both lack of sleep and just plain old age.

"No, you can. I know how much you love to tell it." he mutters. My heart pangs slightly, I can tell from the rather more prominent crease between his eyebrows that the early stages of dementia are starting to take away his memories. Even so I let him sit back and get comfortable as I turn yet again to the waiting children and begin the fantastical story from the very beginning.