Chapter 1

Morning'Step was in a clearing, waiting patiently. Her ear twitched and she sees a Thrush land in a nearby tree. She crouches and starts slowly stalking towards the tree, ready to spring into the bird. A figure launches out of a bush before she can catch it and barrels into her flank, knocking her onto the ground. The Thrush gave a started alarm call and flew away.

Morning'Step was frozen with shock. The black shape hopped off her, looking down at her wearily. She sat up, catching her breath. Shade'paw was standing off the side, avoiding her gaze. "Sorry, Morning'Step! I hope l didn't hurt you.." Shade'paw said shyly. Morning'Step got up, shaking off leaves and twigs that clung to her fur. 

"That's alright Shade'paw," She said "You caught me off guard with that! You're really improving with stalking, l bet even you could surprise Mint'Star!" Morning'Step's praise made him stand up taller, puffing his black chest out happily. Morning'Step's tail flicked with amusement.

"I think it's time we head back to camp. All the prey around here's probably been scared off." She said, starting to pad back to camp. Shade'paw bound after her, trying to keep up. They pushed through the undergrowth, brushing past bushes and tredding lightly over the crinkling leaves.

A bramble thicket soon came into view. They pushed past it, walking into camp. DawnClan cats were dotted around the clearing, sheltered by the big willow tree in the heart of the camp. The elders were nestled in their den, telling stories to about the old days to wide-eyed kits who listened intently while Solitude'Mutter, DawnClan's Deputy, was organising patrols beside the Sun Rock. 

Morning'Step dismissed Shade'paw and padded to the fresh-kill pile. She picked up a shrew and padded off to sit next to Solar'Night, who was sunning herself beside the warrior's den. Solar'Night looked up at Morning'Step at she sat down. 

"Do you want to share?" Morning'Step asked, setting down her prey. Solar'Night hesitated, then nodded "I don't see any reason not to" She said. The she-cats started to eating the shrew together. Morning'Step glanced up, catching Shade'paw boasting to the other apprentices about her surprise on Morning'Step. 

"... And then, l snuck up on her and POUNCED!" Shade'paw said with glee. Light'paw and Callisto'paw were looking at Shade'paw with wide, amazed eyes. "Did you really catch knock her over?" Asked  Light'paw eagerly.

Solar'Night glanced at the apprentices, then back at Morning'Step. "Whats Shade'paw going on about?" She asked, confused. Morning'Step suppressed a sigh. "Shade'paw managed to knock me over while l was about to catch a Thrush" Morning'Step explained "He'll have told the whole clan about this before a Quarter Moon's gone by, but I'll let Shade'paw have this. He's clearly enjoying it." 

The two She-cats went back to watching the apprentices, having finished their fresh-kill. Morning'Step felt something staring at her. Looking around, she saw Branch'Spot looking their way. Their eyes met and he quickly whipped his back back around and started talking nervously to Beetle'Foot. Morning'Step tilted her head and whispered to Solar'Night. "I think Branch'Spot is talking about us".

Solar'Night shrugged "I think he's just surprised about us sitting together. We don't usually talk to each other much." Morning'Step nodded, casting glances back at Branch'Spot. That's weird. I wonder why he's so nervous?