Prologue

Elena hasn't been happy for so long. Her life is reduced to a daily commuting to a job she doesn't love, afternoons alone at home and insubstantial attempts to restart her social life in a city that has already seen her emerge from the ashes too many times. Barcelona has nothing left for her anymore.

She has been living in Barcelona for fifteen years and everything that happened in her life, has happened in this city. She studied in the university in Barcelona. She moved from A Coruña, a city in the north west of Spain, at the early age of eighteen. She first fell in love here, she had her first broken heart, she found her first job, she changed her job, she thought she could fall in love again and when she found who she thought was the one... reality hit.

Here she is, two months after the breakup, due to irreconcilable differences about their future (he wanted kids and getting married and she didn't which made her realise she didn't really love him), trying to hold her head high and keep going. But it isn't easy.

The only two things that make her happy are too far away: her family, who live on the other side of the country and her friends, who are scattered in different cities in Spain and she barely sees them twice a year. If it wasn't for her dog, a little loving pup that brightens her days up, she would have already given up everything and left running from Barcelona without looking back.

She goes running every day to the beach with her dog, a place that always brings her happiness. The fresh air from the sea helps her to clear her mind. Although the Mediterranean isn't as inspiring as the Atlantic Ocean that she misses so much.

One day, while sitting on the sand, watching her pup chasing the noisy seagulls, she makes a decision. She is going to leave Barcelona for good. It is enough of that damned city. She is going to start from zero, somewhere new, a place that brings her happiness. One city crosses her mind. She was happy there for a year when she studied abroad her third university year. She has so many good memories. And she has always wanted to come back. She has always wanted to work abroad. She could try again in Italy. She is going to Genova.