Quirks and Quarrels - Chapter 4

Realizing that the hard object I collided with was none other than Haider, my hand instinctively found his arm, helping me regain composure as I teetered on the verge of falling. But before I could collect myself from the unexpected encounter, fits of laughter filled the air – not just from Haider, but also a distinctly feminine voice behind me. It turned out to be Haya.

Annoyance, anger, fear, disappointment, and a hint of upset - my emotions were on a rollercoaster, a chaotic blend that left me struggling to define how I truly felt in that moment. Scared to the bone, all for the sake of a prank orchestrated by these two mischievous accomplices. I withdrew my hand from Haider's arm, pivoted, and began marching back into the building, clearly miffed by their ill-timed humor.

"Chill, it was just a joke," Haider interjected, halting me in my tracks and holding my handbag hostage.

"But a hilarious one," Haya chimed in, laughter still bubbling from her.

"Hilarious?" I retorted, folding my arms with a serious expression. "I could've had a heart attack! Well, maybe not literally, but a panic attack was certainly on the table."

"Okay, fine, sorry," they both conceded, though their lack of remorse for the prank was evident. I decided not to press the issue any further.

"Actually, I'm not too familiar with the ways around here, and I was already running late. I was heading back to you guys for help with directions," I explained, pouting slightly.

"And Haider came because you were going alone at this hour, and he was worried, you know," Haya teased, her tone dripping with playful insinuation. Haider rolled his eyes in response, and I chose to ignore the teasing, steering the conversation away.

"Haya was just concerned about you going alone at this hour. It's not safe," Haider defended himself, his tone a touch defensive.

"Trust me, if I'm not home before my mom's second call, I'll be in serious trouble. We can discuss other things on the way," I quipped, swiftly redirecting the conversation and cutting off any further debate.

We settled into the car, Haya claiming the passenger seat while I nestled into the back. Their animated chatter provided a background to my thoughts, but the day's events had taken their toll, and a wave of drowsiness enveloped me as I sank into the seat. Despite my efforts to focus on their conversation, the music and their banter gradually faded into a lullaby, pulling me deeper into the embrace of sleep.

A distant voice roused me, and as I slowly opened my eyes, the car's interior came into focus. Two familiar faces greeted me, and I sat up abruptly, realizing I had dozed off during the journey.

"Morning, sleeping beauty," Haider teased, to which I responded with a sleepy yawn, my hand instinctively covering my mouth.

"Now that your beauty sleep is complete, where should we drop you?" Haider asked, adjusting the rearview mirror. I provided directions, and within minutes, we arrived at the apartment.

Expressing gratitude, I stepped out of the car, exchanged goodbyes, and watched them drive away. Upon reaching home, I greeted Uncle and Auntie with a warm Salam, apologizing for my tardiness. Auntie reassured me to inform her next time, and I made my way to my room, collapsing onto the bed, the day's whirlwind finally catching up with me.

Awakening at 5 am to the growls of my hungry stomach, I skipped dinner the night before due to exhaustion. Opting for a quick fix, I found solace in a packet of chocolate biscuits in my bag. Laziness won, and I indulged in bed without the usual morning routine.

Munching on the sweet treats, I relished the momentary escape from daily demands. No need to rush to wash up; the morning could wait. Engrossed in the chocolaty delight, I paired it with a leisurely scroll through Instagram, creating a cozy start to the day.