14. A surprise visit

After the huge explosion, Shikamaru made efforts to quickly suppress the matter. He made up a cover story to shield Naruto from any allegations of threat. His best friend was going through a lot and Shika wanted to save him any more trouble. He went to see Naruto that night.

Naruto was curled up in his bed holding his pillow tight, when Shikamaru knocked on his window. Naruto gave him a nod to come in. Shikamaru came in and sat beside him. 

"Naruto, are you feeling okay?"

"I feel guilty. I put you all through so much trouble, I really didn't mean to!"

"Oye.. since when did you turn so mature? I came in hoping to hear some other crazy plan to find Sasuke." Naruto stayed silent. "Are you giving up? don't you want him back? Let's think of some way."

"No, I don't want to anymore. I even undid the summoning contract. He couldn't even tell me the truth before abandoning me, so he wouldn't get my summoning consent. Now it's his turn to come back. Besides, Sasuke knows me too well, he probably hid someplace I can't humanly reach like in a different dimension."

"But why is he hiding from you?", Shika asked. Naruto just looked Shikamaru in the eye. Naruto was hesitating to answer. "Naruto, it's pretty clear how you feel about him..does he feel the same about you?"

"Who knows!?"

"Don't you wanna find out? Damn, I wanna find out."

"You hate his guts. Why are you rooting for him?"

"I never saw you so content until the time you two started hanging out. He seems to make you happy, that's enough reason. Now tell me what happened.."

Naruto stayed shut for a while then spoke. "He did make me happy. A lot actually. I realized pretty late that I have feelings for him. I think all that's left to do for now is wait for the dust to settle and let time bring him back. He won't stay away for long.  I know he must be missing me." A smile formed on Naruto's lips. "That idiot didn't even let a single day pass without summoning me. I have no idea how lonely he must be right now."

"Sorry, I always made fun of you and Sasuke being a couple, if I had known that things were inclined that way between you two, I wouldn't have."

"Haha, I sort of like being teased actually."

"So you really don't wanna be doing something about it?"

"Nope. I will keep thinking of him, manifest him to come back, dattebayo."

The next day, Team 8 was returning from a mission. Hinata saw a familiar figure standing at the Aun gate. It was Naruto. 

"Hinata, are you free to talk, right now?"

Hinata instantly froze. She nodded her head in agreement. They went to some isolated place to talk.

"So you had been waiting at the gate all day?", Hinata asked Naruto, who looked a bit out of his usual charm and glow. "You could have dropped tomorrow morning at my house, Naruto-kun."

"I already made you wait so long. It must have been a hard time for you."

She lowered her head, "So... what have you decided?"

"Receiving your letter was beyond flattering. Honestly, I never imagined that someone as incredible as you would harbor feelings for a goofball like me. But, I wish I had known a bit sooner. So much has changed in the past year."

Hinata's expression fell, and a heaviness settled in her heart. "I care about you a great deal, Hinata. You're truly wonderful. But I can't reciprocate the depth of love you have for me. My heart already belongs to someone else. I only realized it recently."