Prologue

Freydis Ragnarsdottir was born into the world after her family's slow and long boat from Denmark to England, which hoped to bring fortune and riches to the family. And it did. Her father, Ragnar Ravnsson, was a fearless warrior who acquired what he wanted; when he wanted it, nobody could stop him or defeat him.

When Freydis was born, she was said to have been a prettier replica of her elder brother. She was said to have been akin to an angel. With her sparkling, azure blue eyes, like the ocean, while her hair was a light blonde, making it look almost silver at times and contributing to her ethereal appearance.

Both Freydis and Ragnar took after their father's Danish appearance, inheriting his deep blue eyes and blonde hair. Ragnar loved and adored his younger baby sister and would do anything for her, just as he would do anything for the rest of his family.

But nobody was more happy than Thyra. She had prayed to the gods day and night when she found out her mother was pregnant. She had desperately hoped for a baby sister that she could play with and braid her hair.

Her parents loved Freydis dearly, as they loved all of their children, but she was the youngest baby out of her siblings and their miracle child. Their mother, Sigrid, didn't think she could have any more children. Her parents saw Freydis as an angel sent by Freya herself to bless them; they saw the babe as a sign that they had done right by sailing to Northumbria.

She had been an easy baby and was as calm as the ocean. A relatively unfussy child who only stirred when she was tired or sleepy. Thyra would often gaze at the innocent sleeping baby, and the whole of the world would go silent, as she could only feel love consuming her heart, mind, and body. She never left her young sister's side and stayed by Freydis, letting the baby hold her finger with her tiny hand.

Even as a young child, people would remark about the baby's ethereal aura. She even had Uhtred and Brida wrapped around her finger. They were both alike with Ragnar in that they would do anything to keep the little one safe and sound and to see that innocent smile and joy that graced her face that would grace her face whenever she saw them both.

If she was upset, Uhtred, Brida, and Thyra would always entertain the little infant to try and restore her to her previous joyful mood. The three of them would stop as nothing to see her big smile again. One time the bossy little girl had the four of them pretend to be princesses, much to Uhtred's dismay.

Then her granddad, Ravn, would always send her off to sleep with a story of her ancestors before her and of the fables and tales of their origin. She spent a lot of time in his company, as according to her mother, she was too young to keep up and play with Brida, Uhtred, and Thyra, so he would often keep the girl entertained by crafting little bits and pieces with the twigs and leaves of the forest.

The Ragnarssons had a happy and content family dynamic.

She was the light of everyone's life.

—・┆✦ʚ♡ɞ✦ ┆・—

That was until the faithful day when Uhtred, Brida, and Thrya went out to play in the woods as they usually did. Thyra was a princess, and Brida and Uhtred were her knights and protectors. Freydis was never allowed to go on adventures with the older children because her mother believed her to be too young and the other children too young to be held responsible for the infant. So instead, she would stay behind with her mother or her grandfather, who would read her stories, and sometimes her brother Ragnar would take her out to play instead.