SIXTY-TWO: IT DOESN'T LAST FORVER

SIXTY-TWO: IT DOESN'T LAST FOREVER

("The Massacre Lab" III)

PENNY AND FRANK HELD ON TIGHTLY TO EACH OTHER, AS THEY TRUDGED THROUGH THE DARK FOREST. They found themselves trailing behind Nancy and Robin. The two best friends, though sacred, still talked as it seemed to be a sense of comfort for them.

"What if we don't get out of here?" questioned Frank, nervously.

Penny shook her head. "We will. We've been through tough times before and got out of it. We can do it again... together."

"We got this," the blond murmured, squeezing Penny's hand. Penny squeezed it back, giving Frank some assurance.

"Yeah," she spoke softly. "Promise you'll stay by my side?"

"I promise," Frank assured and he meant it.

"I'm glad you're here," Penny admitted, tucking some hair behind her ear.

Frank wrapped his arm around her shoulder, a small smile forming on his lips. "I am too. Hey, have you, uh, asked Steve about New York yet?"

Penny glanced behind her at the boy who was talking to Eddie and she frowned. "No. I haven't."

"Penny! You can't avoid it forever."

"I know. But... it's just hard." Penny rubbed the back of her neck and looked back at Steve again. Looking at him made her realize that she just couldn't do it.

"Well you can do anything, okay? It's just a simple question. Go up to him all nonchalant and say, 'Hey, I was wondering if you would go to New York with me?' That's it. I mean what are you so afraid of?"

"That he'll say no," Penny said softly.

"And why would he?"

"Well, he's been in Hawkins his whole life, and he has a job here and friends and the kids, and... I don't even think he's over Nancy," Penny revealed looking over at the Wheeler girl.

Frank frowned at her words and shook his head. "Please, don't say that. Steve's been in love with you since forever. And I'm pretty sure the only reason he dated Nancy was because she was the complete opposite of you and he wouldn't be reminded of you. You know, because you hated him."

"What makes you say that?" Penny inquired, adjusting her shirt.

"He told me," Frank mentioned casually. Penny looked at him curiously. "A few days ago Steve and I talked and in that talk he said that. Well not word for word, but you get what I'm saying."

Penny nodded, trying to stop herself from blushing.

"So, if he really loves you, which he does, then he'll go with you," Frank said, putting his hands in the pockets of his jeans.