Ohio State Hospital & Others

OSH & Others

From ages 19-24 I had already been in 4 different suicide ward inpatient care centers, the modern day term of an insane asylum. When you hear about a psyche ward you have your own presuppositions, but more than likely they are incorrect. I could rattle on in detail about the history and development of treatment for the mentally ill but there is plenty of documentation out there on that, so I think it best to tell you my firsthand experience.

My most profound, enlightening, and beneficial experience for growth occurred the first time I went to Osh, Ohio state hospital. It was 2014 and I was 19 years old. I had become completely dependent physically, and mentally to cannabis to be able to function which made times when it wasn't available torture. After several months of smoking every single day I started getting more and more depressed. Eventually I just couldn't take it any more I was suicidal and nothing helped. What had been a source of therapeutic relief became the main component of my downfall.

I had been in close contact with Damien and one afternoon during these moments of deep set suicidal sadness I was in my dorm room eating cereal when I decided to ask him for help. I know I was eating cereal because in the week that I was in Southside, my roommate didn't want to touch my stuff so the uneaten cereal still sat on my desk a week later when I returned

Anyways I was only at Ohio state hospital the first time for a week but in that week I made a complete turnaround in my depression, anxiety and thought control. mostly through working with a counselor named Min Wah. She was the first counselor I had ever seen and when we sat on the bench in the courtyard for our first and only session she answered some of the questions I had which solved a lot of my problems. It was through understanding the source and derivative of an issue that I left OSH a completely different person. An example is I believe Min Wah was passing me a peper and the wind was going to blow it away and she stopped it and doing so she touched my leg. I immediately recoiled from the touch just as an autonomic response. She would explain to me that the reason why I can't handle being touched was because of the physical and sexual abuse that was inflicted upon me in my youth. I was beginning to understand things a little bit better.