Chapter 28: The Drive Home

Travis volunteered to drive as my hands were trembling, and my mind racing with a thousand dreadful possibilities. "What if something terrible happened? What if she's hurt?" The words tumbled out in a frantic whisper, my voice barely audible over the hum of the car.

Travis didn't reply, keeping his focus on the road. I appreciated that - I didn't need him to engage in my frantic thoughts because I knew this was an all-or-nothing behavior.

We pulled up to the house, and I practically leaped out of the car. There she was, Bridget, standing alone on the curb. Relief flooded through me, but it was quickly replaced by fierce protectiveness.

"Bridget!" I exclaimed, rushing to her. Her small frame shook as she buried her face in my chest.

"Don't go inside, please. Can we just go home?" she begged, her voice muffled against my coat.

My mind raced. What had happened in that house to scare her so much? Anger bubbled up inside me, but I pushed it down. Bridget needed me calm.

"Okay, we're going home," I assured her, stroking her hair. I shot a glance at Travis, who nodded, understanding the gravity of the situation. He helped Bridget into the car, and we drove off, the silent streets echoing the turmoil inside me.

The ride home was quiet, a stark contrast to the chaos of my thoughts. Bridget was safe in my arms, but the questions remained, haunting the edges of my mind. What had frightened my little girl so much that she couldn't even bear to stay inside that house?

The car was enveloped in a tense silence, broken only by the soft sobs of Bridget. I gently rubbed her back, trying to provide some comfort. "Bee, sweetheart, can you tell me what happened?" I asked softly, my voice laced with worry.

Bridget just shook her head, her tears soaking into my coat. I felt a pang of helplessness, wishing I could take away whatever pain she was feeling. Her refusal to speak only deepened my concern. What had scared her so much that she couldn't even find the words?

In the driver's seat, Travis kept his eyes on the road, but I caught his glance in the rearview mirror. It was filled with concern, a silent question asking if everything was okay. I gave a slight shake of my head, indicating that I didn't know, my eyes returning to Bridget.

The rest of the ride was a blur of streetlights and shadows, each moment stretching out with aching slowness. My mind raced with possibilities, each more worrying than the last. As we pulled into the driveway, I resolved to give Bridget all the time she needed to open up, to be there for her, no matter what.