14. Mona's fate

The fog that blurred the monsters' senses became dark. And everyone felt chills on their backs. It's as if something had joined their battle.

Something unknown yet.

The loud cheers of the joyful knights turned into silence. All of them are silently observing their surroundings. Nervousness filled their system, and the hope they felt was shaken once again.

"Nobody moves." Grand Duke Adri ordered calmly, but he moved even without seeing his path. He gave the order so he could move safely without bumping into another since he somewhat remembered their positions. He decided to approach a certain point where he felt a chilling presence approaching them earlier. Just before the darkness came. But he was stopped in his tracks when a sudden shout exploded from behind him.

"Argh!"

Shouts and painful groans reverberated somewhere. But the knights could tell those noises came from only a single person.

"Make light!" Luven ordered the magicians, and one obeyed immediately.

Sparks ignited in the magic circle, but it only lasted for a few seconds. The sparks died without even turning into a complete ball of light, and the magic circle disappeared.

"W-What?" The dumbfounded magician uttered.

"Why? What happened?" Lionel's voice was heard a few meters away from them. Clearly showing that everyone is paying attention to the magician's attempt to make a light.

"T-The magic circle disappeared entirely. And I can't seem to create another." The man answered.

"Let me try." Shelly's voice responded. Another spark of light appeared on the back of the man. The sparks are stronger than the first magician created, and the magic circle is larger. The light it gave showed the lady's face outlined with shadows, looking serious and focused on her magic.

But like the first attempt, Shelly's sparks died and the magic circle disappeared after just a few seconds longer than the former.

Shelly was bewildered. She felt something repelling her magic and totally extinguishing it.

"Is it the same?" Her brother asked her.

She didn't answer but tried to make light once again. But this time, her circle crumbled even before completion.

"What is this? I feel like my magic doesn't work." She finally exclaimed.

Other magicians tried to use their magic as well, but as Lady Ferrer said, their magic only worked in the beginning, lasted for a few seconds, and completely disappeared in the dark.

"Does it only happen to natural magicians?" The marquess asked.

It was the Grand Duke who answered.

"It's the same. I tried using my magic, but it didn't work."

After hearing this, Marquess Luven gathered his mana to create a tiny wind vortex in his hand but his surroundings only got windy.

"What should we do?" Shelly asked; a slight trembling could be heard in her voice.

Fighting the unknown is a lot more dangerous than a battle with monsters. How could one win without even knowing his enemy?

"Calm down." Said the Grand Duke. "Keep quiet." He added.

When the restless murmurs of the knights quieted down, they could finally hear the little noises around them.

The shouts still exist, and from time to time, a gust of wind and clanking noises drowned the shouts.