55. Finding answers (3)

Shelly came out from the dust-covered room and looked at them with a glare.

Mona instantly hid back behind Sandra. The appearance of the head magician looks awful and pitiful yet her intense glare mixed with anger terrifies her a bit.

Shelly's shoulder-length black hair turned grey from the dust, and her white coat was wrinkled and dirty. The glasses she wore were already missing one of its lenses, and her face was covered in tiny bruises.

Staring at them with a fiery gaze, she snarled and asked, "What?"

"What happened here?" Sandra asked back, glancing around the wreckage inside the room.

"Don't answer my question with a question."

"I was just amazed you're still alive."

"I don't care. I asked why you're here."

Before the conversation went even more awry, she stepped out and gave Shelly an awkward smile.

"I wanted to thank you personally for checking me up every day-"

"Do you think I did that willingly? I am the head mage and was ordered by his grace. You're thanking the wrong person here." Shelly said sourly, cutting her words in mid-sentence.

'But you could have told another mage to do it instead since it was just a mana check-up...' Mona thought, but she decided not to voice them out knowing that the lady would only deny it and get mad at them more.

"I see." She answered instead and looked around the interior as well. "This is quite an explosion."

"Yes. And none of your business as well."

Mona only grinned at the rude treatment towards her. But her maid appeared to be riled up.

"The head mage is such a foul-mouthed."

Mona was a bit shocked to see her picking a fight first, but the headmage only smirked and responded in an even-provoking tone.

"The maid is such a buttinsky."

Sandra glared at the mage and stepped forward. Truly surprised her, because the maid barely reacts to anything and yet here, she was, ready to wage war against someone.

It's like Mona was seeing the Saintess getting expressive whenever she was irritated and pestered. The thought made her giggle, and the sound snatched the attention of the other two women.

One was looking at her with confusion and the other with scorn mixed with displeasure.

But the latter doesn't give the same intensity when they first met. Mona could even tell that the mage's treatment and behavior towards her was just like a child being sulky and prideful. Acting tough and unkind to hide her real emotions.

"That's enough. We didn't come here to bicker with you. Aside from showing you my gratitude, there is another thing I came here for." She intercepted and looked at the mage seriously.

Shelly raised her eyebrows at what she said. Now, her eyes were filled with curiosity, and Sandra was also looking at her with a question.

"But first, can we enter? The matter is something private. I just want to be careful." She added, looking around to check if there was another unknown presence.

Shelly stayed silent. She just kept looking at her, as if trying to guess what was going on in her mind. After a while, the head mage flicked her fingers and every mess inside the room came into order again, restoring it to the state before the explosion.

"Come in," Shelly said and moved to a single bed and sat.

"You don't even have a seat inside?" Sandra commented.