Friendly stranger

Adeline's POV:

Today was a new day, hopefully Mr and Mrs Anders were in a better mood, it's not like I care or anything I just needed some peace for once in this house.

I get out of bed and make my way over to the small mirror that hung above my nightstand. I look at myself and wow....I'm a mess. My cheeks were all red and my eyes were puffy from the crying. I sigh "let's just get today over with" I tell myself.

I take a shower and make myself less dead looking. I walk downstairs and saw the two demons sitting in the living room watching the news. I didn't bother talking to them, it would just bring back the anger of yesterday all over again.

I walk past them ready to get the hell out of this house when I hear Mrs Anders yell "DON'T DO ANYTHING STUPID!"

I ignore her completely not wanting to waste my breath and make my way down the street. "What to do? What to do?" I ask myself thinking what should I do now that I had some me time outside again. Then I got an idea

The cute coffee shop. I'll just hang out there for a while. I walked down a few streets until I get there. The smell of the fresh coffee and baked goodies hitting me like a brick much like yesterday, but something about today made it seem sweeter.

I go up to the counter with a light smile trying to seem friendly. "Good morning, what can I get for you today?" The girl who had blonde hair and green eyes asked me with a polite smile. "Can I get an ice coffee please" I answer and she nods "one ice coffee coming right up" the girl said walking to the back and getting my stuff. She hands it to me and I give her the money.

I go to the back of the shop sitting in a corner not wanting to interact with people today, I wasn't in the mood plus my cuts were started to get irritated under my hoodies sleeve.

I drink my coffee staring at the table in my own little world. I start thinking of the events yesterday and how stupid it was. Just because I came home wet from the rain the Anders had to make such a big deal out of it, I swear they're just bored and looking for entertainment.

I suddenly feel a tap on my shoulder and I look up. There stood a man, tall and with a somewhat creepy expression. He had to be at least 40 by what I saw and I was very confused as to why he had tapped me to get my attention.

"Yes?" My voice was soft and somewhat nervous, I wasn't good when it came to people I didn't know

"Hey sorry to bother you little lady but you seem to be sitting alone and well.......it's just I didn't want to let you sit by yourself." The man explained and I look at him with a confused expression. Something about him didn't sit right with me. He's slick back brown hair, his stubble beard, his large blue eyes that made it feel as if he was scanning ever single part of me. I hated men in general and this just made things a lot worse.

I was extremely uncomfortable and wanted him to leave immediately but I didn't know how to say it. "You're very pretty" the man said and my leg started bouncing from nervousness underneath the table.

"Oh thanks? But um....you see I'm a minor so I don't think this" I point to myself then him "looks appropriate so-" he cuts me off

"Oh no I can tell you're a minor, you look very young, but you know.....you're a beautiful little girl and I just wanted to sit with you, talk, get to know one another" he's face started to form into a slight grin and I felt like I wanted the earth to just open up from under me and swallow me whole.

"Sir, I don't feel comfortable right now so could you please just leave me alone" I say in the most polite manner that I could but he didn't budge. I hated this guy.

"Come on baby no need-" he said moving closer to me and I move a little bit away as I was still sat on my chair, he's words get cut off by someone clearing their throat.

Behind him stood a women, she had brunette hair, a cap and sunglasses on so I couldn't fully see her face. "Excuse me sir but do you know her?" The women asked in a British accent.

The man turned around and said nothing but glare at the women who was like half of his height. "Sweetheart, do you know this man?" The lady asked me in a much softer tone and I couldn't see her eyes due to the dark sunglasses but I knew she was looking at me.

"N-no, I don't" I say in a nervous tone and the lady nods "okay so you can leave now, thank you" she said in a passive aggressive tone towards the guy and he storms off not saying a word after.

I let out a sigh of relief as my body relaxes from that very uncomfortable interaction. "Thank you, so much" I look up and saw the woman's face properly as she took off her sunglasses. She had light freckles with brown eyes that just radiated warmth, soft pink lips and she had a comforting look on her face and how she looked oh so familiar. I could of sworn I saw her face before but that didn't matter right now, I'm just glad that she came and saved me from that creepy guy

"It's no problem, dear" the lady said placing her hand gently on my shoulder, she gave me a sympathetic look "what are you doing here alone anyway? You look young" her voice had a hint of concern in them as she looked at me with soft eyes. I didn't want to bother her so I just shrugged it off.

"No I'm okay being here alone. I usually go places myself so no need to worry" I said confidently with a smile but she quickly replied in a rather firm tone. "Alone? That's dangerous love. Anything could happen to you" I was kinda taken aback by her persistence response but did take note of the little pet names she was calling me which was nice I guess, I'm not used to it so it felt different, but her concern? She was literally a stranger. There's no need to be concerned in her position.

"Could you tell me your name?" The woman asked "Adeline" my voice was soft as I said my name and the lady nods "I'm Emma if you'd like to know since you told me your name and you know...make you feel more comfortable" Emma said with a slight smile and her accent as her voice was light.

"You're from England, right?" My right eyebrow lifts and Emma chuckled softly "well how ever would you have guessed that?" Her tone was playful as the accent made it obvious "yes hun, I'm from England" my eyes light up "what are you doing in New York then? Did you move here?" I asked as my interest peaked

"Just on a little vacation, I need some me time if you know what I mean" she said with a smile and I nod "yeah I understand, I'm kinda on a me time thing as well to be honest"

"Oh? Let me guess, school work" Emma said as she sat down in front of me on the opposite side of the table "n-...yes, yes" I say. I'll rather not want her to get stuck in my family business. She's already been so nice to me I don't want to bore her with something she doesn't need to know.

"......why are you lying?" She asked in a soft voice and my eyes widen for a second before I make sure my face is neutral so she doesn't suspect something....but how did she know I was lying? She must of guessed "lying? I'm not lying" I say confidently, at least I thought it was.

"Yeah, okay" she said in a tone that made it obvious she wasn't buying my story but she didn't press it further. I sigh but happy she didn't ask questions. My eyes wondered to her bag  "Emma Watson?" I read the name that was engraved to the front of her bag

"Oh, yeah that's me" Emma said with a soft smile and I just nod "Emma Watson? That sounds familiar but...I can't think of where I heard that name from"  I thought to myself but shrugged the thought away as Emma spoke again.

"Care to take a walk by the park near by? Unless you're busy of course-"

"No no no, not busy at all" I say quickly

"Well then, shell we?" Emma says as she gave me her hand to take

________________________________

1545 words

Okay so next post will be upcoming Friday. Love you all and don't forget to take care of yourselves and my DMs are always open for anyone about anything as always, love you guys

Mwah mwah 💋