Chapter One: Sudden Change

Location(s): Liyue and Mondstadt

Hoisting my bags onto my shoulders properly, I continued my trek through the Liyue landscape, nearing its border of Mondstadt. The Cor Lapis decorated random stone piles, some at the base of trees. All showing Rex Lapis's influence on the land. I hadn't been in the city for this mission, which was unfortunate. I had heard of the Geo archon's death and the beautiful funeral that followed. The Traveler had played a key role in it all, no doubt. Ever since he showed up, things have been different.

"Help," a strained voice shouted near the falls, pulling me from my own thoughts. I rushed towards the sound to find the source was an elderly gentleman with a sickly disposition. He saw me and waved his hands from the water that threatened to pull him under, "Help!"

I wasted no time to manipulate the water with my vision gifted powers. The water circled around the elderly man's waist, carrying him safely to shore before depositing him far from the riverbank. Once the water returned back to its original state, I ran over to the man and helped guide the water from his lungs. He coughed and sputtered until the water had all dislodged from his lungs.

"Are you okay, sir," I inquired. His coughs didn't cease, and I realized his sickly disposition wasn't due to the waterlogging, but that he was truly sick, "Here, have some of this," I offered as I dug through my backpack I had shed. Inside was a plethora of snacks I managed to cook over an open camping flame of a Hilichurl camp. I grabbed a bowl of Black-Back Perch Stew and handed it to him.

He took it gratefully before practically drinking it. With his coughing subsided, I let out a sigh of relief. He looked down at my Vision that I had strung to my hip, his hands outstretched to brush against the blue of my hydro Vision.

"You're a Vision bearer. That's why you were able to save me," he stated.

"Yes, sir. I'm glad I got to you when I did," I smiled warmly at him, "Now, you look much healthier. I can leave another soup with you if you would like. I'm on my way to Mondstadt so I don't need all the snacks I made."

"You are a very sweet young lady. It's a shame you were the one to save me," he sighed regretfully. Before I had time to respond, he grasped my Vision and a shock radiated through my very core. I let out a scream of pain, grasping at my chest as he leaned closer to me, "Seven is no longer the number. There are less, but something more powerful is coming. It's coming and there's no way to fight it if the Seven continue to forfeit their ties to the Heavenly Principle. Life finds a way. Power finds a way. A balance. There needs to be a balance. Ducunt volentem fata. nolentem trahunt."

He released my Vision as his body disintegrated into nothing more than blackened ash that was carried away by the wind. The pain evaporated along with him and when I stared down at the bowl, I saw it was full. Frowning, I put the bowl back into my bag and stood back up.

"I really need to stop forgoing sleep on these missions. I thought my max was three, but I guess I need to change it to two," I thought aloud. Shaking off the unnerving feeling of what may or may not have happened, I crossed the border and found myself at the entrance of Mondstadt. Timmie looked over at me with a smile and a wave, careful not to alert his pigeons. I motioned with my hand, silently asking if I could cross.

"I've fed them today, Sereia," he spoke, causing some pigeons to look my way. I nodded in acknowledgment and made my way down the bridge, back into the castle-like walls of Mondstadt. Swan and Lawrence stood guard at the gate, both giving me a nod of acknowledgment as I crossed into the city walls.

"It's good to be home," I sighed delightfully and took a left to head over to the blacksmiths.

"No second-rate items here," Wagner shouted out his usual nonsense to everyone that passed by. When he saw me, he frowned, "More damaged weapons in need of repair?"