THREE

THREE | THERE IS SOME BEAUTY IN THIS NEW HELL

Blue dragons descend from the extraordinary Gormfaileas line

Blue dragons descend from the extraordinary Gormfaileas line. Known for their formidable size, they are the most ruthless, especially in the case of the rare Blue Daggertail, whose knifelike spikes at the tip of their tail can disembowel an enemy with one flick.

—Colonel Kaori's Field Guide to Dragonkind

If Jack wanted to kill Kamari, he could join the slowly growing line.

Kamari would already be hearing an earful from Violet, along with the fact, that Xaden Riorson had been at this school for three years. If anyone was going to have her head, she had a feeling it would be him.

"You saying that doesn't make you special," Kamari sasses back at the threat. 

With a scoff, Jack stomped away like her older brother used to when they were children. It made a small smirk claim Kamari's face as she watched him wander toward the courtyard. 

It was still early, probably around nine, but already Kamari saw there weren't as many cadets as there were candidates ahead of her in line. Based on the overwhelming presence of leather, both the second and third years, were here as well taking stock of the new cadets.                                         

She was alive. Kamari had survived the easiest stage. And it felt fucking good.

She turned toward Violet with a small smile on her face. However, it quickly contorted to one of worry as her friend trembled. Violet nodded off toward a bench near where Rhiannon was waiting for them and began to limp away. Kamari watched carefully to make sure no one took advantage of Violet's injury and weaker body. 

"I think you made an enemy there," the redhead said, casually shifting the lethal crossbow she wore strapped along her shoulder. She glanced at the Melinoe girl over the scroll with a shrewd look in her hazel eyes as she looked her up and down. "I'd watch your back with that one if I were you." 

Kamari stared at her for a quick second before nodding and following Violet. 

A breath left Kamari when she reached Violet and was pulled into someone's arms. She quickly turned her head to see Rhiannon smiling. 

"We made it!" She grinned, squeezing the girl's shoulders.

"We made it!" Kamari smiled back at her. They made it.

"I can't thank you enough. There were at least three times I would have fallen off if you hadn't helped me." She turned to Violet, "You were right - those soles were slick as shit. Have you seen the people around here? I swear I just saw a second year with pink streaks in her hair, and one guy has dragon scales tattooed up his entire biceps."