𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫, 𝒋𝒖𝒔𝒕 𝒍𝒊𝒌𝒆 𝒉𝒊𝒎

Tobias

I walked out of the house, Elijah behind me, quieter than a mouse. Which is normal at school. But today he was actually loud and talking. Is this how he actually is?

"Elijah I-"

"Is it true that you don't hate me?" He said looking at me, his soar eyes stare at me to the point they could burn my face off. "Or was it just for that moment?"

"... I-I don't know."

"Again with this 'I don't know' shit.
How do you not know if you hate me?
Did you just say that just to make out with me?" Elijah shouted, walking closer to me. It was pitch black, but the street light lit up Elijah's face, and you could see tear glistening in his eyes.

I don't know! I don't know why I'm acting differently! I don't know why I abused him! I don't know why I've been doing fucked up shit for so long! I don't know why I wanted to fuck them! I. just. don't. know.

...

"Wow... I can't believe I fucking kissed you." He backed off, disbelief in his eyes. The tears fell down his face slowly and I felt a pang of guilt hit me. Hard.

Damnit, don't cry. I've never seen you cry, and I don't want you to cry because of me. I clench my fist.

Why can't I give him an answer?

"Bye Tobias." He pushed passed me, walking away with tears in his eyes.

Within seconds the sound of his footsteps disappeared.

I turned around and he wasn't there. I pushed down the urge to breakdown and just walked home.

-

I pushed open the door to my house, and called out to my mom. "Mom I'm home!"

I looked around and didn't see her so I assumed she was sleep until I heard a scream rip from the upstairs and I bolted upstairs to where I heard crashing and moving.

I ran in the room and saw my mom with crimson liquid running down her face. Glass was scattered across the floor and my stepdad had her blood all over his hands.

I heard a door behind me open, must have been my sister checking to see what was happening.

"What the fuck!?" I heard her scream from behind.

"Jordan you help mom, Ill get him." I run in front of mom, protecting her from the raging man in front of me.

I hear Jordan assuring my mom that everything was fine.

"What the fuck is your problem!" I roared at him.

"Get the fuck out the way, or your next." He yelled, sending daggers at me. I didn't move from where I stood, glaring back at him. He  shoved me out of the way, and met eyes with jordan. Jordan stayed in front of mom, who was crying telling her to move.

"You heard your mom you little shit, move."

"No-"

Smack

He had slapped Jordan to the floor, and I felt my blood boil. I ran over to him slammed my fist into his backside, which made him stumble. He turned around and attempted to hit me but Jordan had quickly gotten back up and grab the lamp and slammed it on the back of his neck, causing him to pass out.

"Are you guys ok?" I ask worriedly, looking at them. Jordan's bruise was already swelling on her cheek. And mom head was still bleeding, and she had a few bruises on her arm.

And then there was me, I had no bruise or blood on me. All he did was shove me and hit Jordan instead.

"Mom are you ok!?" Jordan shouted as mom had passed out too. Maybe from exhaustion or stress.

"She's probably exhausted, we need to patch her up and put her to bed." I say going over to the two. Jordan picked up mom and looked at me, "You get the asshole on the floor." She tells me before carrying our mom to the bathroom.

I groan and grab the fucker by his wrist and drag him down the stairs, purposely making his head each step in the way down. I left the bastard on the floor in the middle of the living room before going back upstairs.

I was met with Jordan at the top of the stairs, "I patched mom up and put her in bed." She said.

I look at the swelling on the bruise, it's gotten slightly worse. I drag her down the stairs and to the kitchen. I grab an ice pack and handed it to her and she puts it up against her face. Wincing at the coldness.

I keep forgetting she's a year younger than me. I'm a senior and she's a junior. But it feels like we're the same age, like we are twins. But she's my younger sister so I need to protect her better.

"I wish she would get rid of that bastard." Jordan mutters out.

I sigh, "I know. But-"

"I know, he has dirt on mom that could potentially get her put in jail. I know, she's told us. Just the thought of being free from him is nice. But I guess that won't be happening to me any time soon." She aimlessly chuckles.

Now that I think about, when I leave and graduate she'll be here all by herself. No one to protect her from him. It crushes my soul to even think about that.

Him beating them for no reason, except because he can.

Are you two any different?

A voice from the back of my mind murmurs, and it's followed a memory from hours ago.

I stood over Elijah as he was unconscious on the floor, because of me. I had hit him for the same reason as my step father. Just because I could.

"Night." I say suddenly, before turning around and leaving for my room.

I lay in my bed in the deafening silence. The moon light creeping in my room by the nearly closed curtains.

The voice I heard earlier rang in my head, along with everytime I had hit Elijah. Telling me I was just like that asshole that laid on the floor downstairs.

No I'm not, I can't be like him. I know I'm definitely an not a saint but I'm not like him.

Another flash, Elijah is on the floor in the bathroom, blood stream down from his forehead and I stand above him with a devilish smirk. One after another, memories flash in my head of what I've done to Elijah. I feel the emotions I pushed down earlier come up. Then I remember the blood leaking from Elijah's mouth because I had punched his cheek just earlier today.

I let the tears that threaten to fall, soak my face.

"I am just like him."