Chapter 3

Piper's cursor, a soaring aircraft, flew with twists and turns throughout the millions of pixels that inhabited the radiating screen. Flicking and clicking, a new tab opens, with the colorful Google logo ready to serve its wealth of knowledge. Piper delicately moved her fingers across the keyboard, a piano, playing harmony.

"Emma... Emma... Emma Zheng!" she yelled within her mind, a gift made by curious and hyperactive intellect.

The digital realm with a thousand eyes presents Piper with all it knows about Emma Zheng.

"This is impossible, this is impossible, this is impossible," Piper reiterates, her crescendo voice bouncing and echoing off the walls of her room.

In front of her eyes, there was not a single search result. Emma's prominent voice whispered the secrets of the world, and Piper knew Emma existed beyond the borders of her dreams. There were no seeds of doubt.

Piper desperately refreshed the page, as if she was watering a withered flower, hoping the familiar websites and search engines were only a glitch. Still, her laptop yielded the same results with no trace of Emma Zheng.

"Ah, wait! Maybe the images and news section has something," Piper said quietly to herself, trying to comfort her digital roadblock.

Once again, there was nothing.

The virtual dimension, bearer of a thousand eyes, usually so obedient to the curious Piper, always fulfilled her cliché, "Ask and you shall receive." The internet was like her own personal oracle. If she had any concerns about her math homework, she knew who to ask for help. Yet, the all-knowing internet ceased to confirm and give any information about Emma's identity.

Boom. Frustrated, she slams her laptop lid with all the strength she could. Perched on the edge of her bed, she wrestles with the dearth of the supernatural Emma. Piper tries to breathe slowly, trying to recall every detail of her dormancy: the wooden bench, Emma, Piper's younger self, and that strange path.

"The path..." Piper contemplates, with each second rebuilding the city of lost hope.