A Vicious Aura

In the life of every human being, there are times they make principles for themselves, and there are times these principles break. Every time a law is created within the soul, a new being is born and every time the law dies, another being is born.

It was the same for Colonel Marquez Agaria.

The idea of surrendering had never crossed his mind—that was the nature of his principle. He never believed in a war that couldn't be won. He never believed in what the State Officer claimed as a 'draw' or as 'peace'.

Such things never existed in the world. For every war, every game and every approach, there was always a winner and a loser. Victory wasn't based on materialistic numbers or soldiers, it was based on the fight they displayed. It was based on the very idea of how well the war was waged.

But of course, nobody except his conscience would understand it.

The Colonel spent three days traveling, arguing, and cursing in order to terminate the peace treaty. The State Officer and his council of men were cowards, though. They didn't want to risk defeat at the hands of the Reds because of a secret army that never existed. Colonel Marquez Agaria tried convincing them with his best efforts but everything he said and did was in vain.

"Once a man turns into a coward, he can never win any battle," he thundered in the State Council in front of all his higher-ups.

When the Colonel returned to the military office in Impville, he had shut himself in his office, refusing to meet the woman he loved and his son. Lydia knew that the Colonel needed time and she granted his wish. But her worry wouldn't stop her from knocking on his door three times a day.

An entire week passed since the peace treaty, and she saw the cheerful faces of men, women, and children on the streets. There was music and happiness everywhere. People danced in happiness. The Reds and the Blacks who had loved each other in secret, got married.

The entire human race was again united.

But it seemed like Colonel Marquez Agaria stood against this world of peace.

She looked down at her little boy and watched his calm breathing as he slept soundly on the pillow beside her. She couldn't care less about war and victory. She was glad that the war ended earlier than she hoped, and she was happier that the proud Colonel finally had a taste of peace that scared him so much, causing him to retreat to his study.

But the devil didn't stay there for long as he appeared at her door when she looked up. Without making a sound, he climbed onto her bed and embraced her from behind, smelling strongly of whisky.

"There was no meaning to any of it. The battles we won, the medals... The treaty has taken away the worth of every soldier who died," he whispered against her neck.

"There's always meaning to the past. Every dead man has contributed to the world in some way, Colonel," she replied in whispers so as not to wake Thomas.

"We could have won, Lydia, the fucking band of cowards, the state council—they didn't believe in victory. Now we are given the same title as the Reds who never fought even half as well as us. Where is the meaning in all the fights we won? What can peace even grant us?"

Lydia turned slowly and gestured at their sleeping son.

"Do you see how soundly he is sleeping? Do you think that our little boy can sleep this well in a world polluted with war? Why can't you let go of your obsession with victory and just be happy watching him breathe... Look at him, Colonel... Look at what love can do."

Lydia Thorne had tears in her eyes. The Colonel did look at Thomas. For the first time, he looked at his son properly. He realized that she was right in every way possible, but his principles wouldn't let him accept peace.