Chapter 3

Pai stares at the stars, it's a beautiful night and they look almost close enough to reach up to touch. The night sky isn't really what is on his mind though, it's a different Sky that is filling his thoughts.

When Pai had been a young soldier in the royal guard he was known for two things, his ability to fight and his prowess in the bedroom.

Pai took his role as a royal guard very seriously and quickly moved up the ranks until he was promoted to captain over Prince Rain's guards. What he didn't take so seriously was his love life. In his opinion a no strings attached life was the best way. He took pleasure where he could with partners who felt the same. It was only sex, never anything more.

That was before he had been assigned as Rain's head guard. He had never been close to the prince but had always admired the young omega for the things he did for the citizens of their kingdom. Soon after joining the prince's regiment, he had begun to feel like a protective older brother to prince Rain. What he had felt towards prince Rain's companion, Sky, was anything but brotherly.

At first Sky had rejected his advances, having heard about his reputation. Pai did everything he could to show the omega he was different now. His no strings lifestyle had ended the minute he had seen the omega smile. It had taken a lot to convince Sky that he was serious about him. The omega had some high walls built around his heart, but Sky had finally begun to let him in.

Then Pai had discovered the plot against prince Rain and hadn't been able to tell Sky about it. He had wanted to but if Sky had said something to prince Rain the wrong people could have found out. It was such a mess not knowing how high up the conspiracy went and who they could trust. He knows to Sky it must have looked like he didn't trust him enough to tell him. Now Pai isn't sure how to bridge this new gap between them.

The front door opens and Pai knows it's Phayu without looking up.

"Are they asleep?" Pai asks.

"Prince Rain was when I left, and Sky looked dead on his feet, so I imagine he is by now. Those two are used to palace life, not harsh days of travel and roughing it." Phayu says with a frown.

Pai remembers when he had first been assigned as Rain's guard, he had expected the prince to be soft too. He knew the prince had a kind heart but had expected someone that had lived in the palace all their lives to rely on servants to take care of everything.

"Don't let them fool you. It's been a rough two days for them, and it's true they are used to being surrounded by luxury, but they both have some steel in them as well. I have seen them both work tirelessly in the hospitals when other nobles lock their doors for fear of catching diseases. I have seen his highness face down a foreign diplomat and his army who tried to bully his way into a trade agreement. They can both be strong when they need to be." Pai says with admiration. He caresses his cheek where Sky slapped him and smiles ruefully.

"Will your people contact us here?" Phayu asks.

"My superiors P'Chai and P'Pakin are looking into affairs at the palace, they will send word if they find out anything or if anything happens." Pai says.

"If anyone could be involved in the assassination plot, how do you know you can trust them?" Phayu asks.

"Because if they were involved, we would already be dead. They knew of the plan to get prince Rain out." Pai says, "besides we have to trust someone."

"So what do we do while we wait?" Phayu asks.

"Keep the prince out of trouble." Pai says with a laugh. "Believe me that's a full-time job."