Chapter 4 - Another Mistake?

Celeste groggily sat up from her bed. She didn't sleep well. All night she tossed and turned and recalled the kiss. Her body burned and her thoughts wandered appropriately. She hugged herself and blushed. Celeste rang her tiny bell and her maid came, "Yes M'Lady." The petite girl curtsied.

"What is your name?"

"Maline, M'lady."

"Maline," Celeste scooted to the edge of the bed, "How is my husband?" Maline quickly looked up and turned her head away. Celeste squinted her eyes unsure of her maids silent reply.

"Maline?" She called out again.

"He is breaking his fast, M'lady."

"I see," Celeste walked toward her vanity. A blush crept up her cheeks as thoughts of last night's event invaded her mind. "Thank you, you may leave."

"But M'lady, shall I help you first?" Her maid took a step forward.

"Not this morning Miranda." She smiled at the girl at her reflection.

Miranda curtsied and gently closed the door with a soft click.

As soon as the door closed Celeste covered her face with her hands. She doesn't know what she is feeling at this moment. The feeling she felt was not she expected. She quickly stood and changed. She didn't bother putting her corset, it was constricting and too much to manage. Without it she felt free and light. Celeste found herself half running, half skipping towards the breakfast table.

Her heart skipped when she saw him. Celeste stopped. But then why did she sign the papers? Anger slowly crept inside her body, why did he leave suddenly? Her delicate hands formed into a ball. Suddenly a memory came.

*Gregory straightened his back, "Do not speak to me in such a way, My dear duchess." He smacked one more kiss on her lips, "Or you'll know the consequences."*

He was trying to teach her a lesson! Ugh! She stomped her way to Gregory and before he took his last bite of his eggs she smacked him on the back of his head.

His fork fell from his hands and made a loud clunk in the floor. Her husband turned and stood , "Damned to hell woman, what's wrong with you?"

"You!" She got closer, "how could you?"

Gregory's face suddenly turned ashen, his mind ran to last night's event. She knew?

"Gregory!"

He doesn't know how to explain it to her, instead he grabbed her wrist and carried her back to her room.

"Let me go!" She kept stumbling trying to keep up.

As they reached her bedroom he slammed the door, "How did you hear about it?"

"What do you mean, 'how did I hear about it?' I was there!" What is this man talking about? She saw his face turned white, suddenly she felt concerned, "What's wrong Gregory?"

"Look Celeste, it was an accident!" He took a step forward but found herself taking one back. An accident? Her heart suddenly sank, she hadn't realise her feelings for her husband to appear so quickly.

He stopped. "It was," he released a breath, "I was frustrated," he paused.

He couldn't find the words to tell her. It was much easier when he ran the simulation in his head during breakfast. "And I , when I," he stumbled his words, "When I saw her." Celeste head snapped up, Her? Who...? She paled, "What are you talking about Gregory?" Her voice was barely a whisper. His voice stopped, She doesn't know?

Celeste took a step forward, "Who were you with last night?" Knowing the answer she asked anyway, "Gregory?" Her voice cracked, "Please tell me the truth." Because I don't want my heart to be broken again with a man who loves another. She wanted to say but couldn't let it out .