Chapter Fourteen: Secrets of the Castle

Sebastian held the door open for me, and we began to stroll down the cobblestone streets of Hogsmeade toward the welcoming facade of the Three Broomsticks. He expressed his hope that Sirona, the owner, wouldn't be too busy and would have a moment to meet me. The air was filled with the enticing aroma of butterbeer and the lively chatter of fellow witches and wizards enjoying their time in the quaint village.

As we meandered along, our eyes were drawn to a figure in the distance, a wizard who seemed to be behaving rather suspiciously. With a shared glance, we silently decided to veer off our path, lurking around the side of a building to get a closer look at the unfolding scene.

Peering from our concealed vantage point, we observed the mysterious wizard engaged in a clandestine meeting with a goblin. Their hushed conversation carried an air of secrecy, and it was evident that whatever business they were conducting was meant to remain hidden from prying eyes.

"You said you could get to the child when they came to Hogsmeade," the goblin stated, his voice a sharp, metallic clang in the crisp air. "That all you needed was a distraction. I gave you a distraction!" His annoyance and temper grew, echoing off the stone buildings that lined the narrow alley.

"I just watched a child take down your 'distraction'," The wizard responded with a dismissive tone. His voice, oily and smooth, seemed to slither through the tension-laden atmosphere. "Who is this child? What are you not telling me?"

"All you need to know is that if you cannot get to the child, then you have no value to me." As the goblin spoke, that's when I realized. That's the same goblin I saw before back in the vault at Gringott's. The goblin peeked around the wizard, his eyes glinting with a mix of curiosity and suspicion as he caught a glimpse of Sebastian and me.

Our eyes met in a moment of mutual surprise.

"Let's go," I said urgently, pulling at Sebastian's sleeve. We hastily retreated down the shadowy path, running down the worn stone stairs and emerging just outside the Three Broomsticks. Our hurried paces gradually slowed as we distanced ourselves from the clandestine conversation.

"Did they see us?" Sebastian asked, his eyes scanning the surroundings with a mix of concern and caution.

I shook my head reassuringly, "I don't think so."

"What was that goblin doing with Victor Rookwood?" Sebastian wondered, his brow furrowing in thought.

His words hit me with an even bigger realization. "Ranrok is... working with Rookwood?"

A similar look of revelation crossed Sebastian's face as he connected the dots. "The goblin from the Daily Prophet? I knew I'd seen him somewhere!"

Just then, Sebastian spotted that same wizard and another man standing next to him. Possibly Theophilus Harlow, the one Professor Weasley warned me about. They were scanning the street, their gaze sweeping up and down, and we knew they were searching for us.

Sebastian seized my hand, urgency in his eyes. "Quickly! Let's get inside the Three Broomsticks!"

He guided me along the path around the corner, and with a swift push, he swung open the large wooden doors. We burst into the warmth of the pub, the scent of butterbeer and murmurs of conversation enveloping us. Sebastian and I entered cautiously, trying to blend into the subdued atmosphere as we found a pair of bar stools and took our seats.

The atmosphere in the Three Broomsticks shifted as the bartender, a seasoned witch with a quick eye, noticed our arrival. Her attention shifted from the polished glasses to us. "Now, what can I- Oh. There's a face I haven't seen before."

I greeted her with a coy smile, "It's my first time here."

"Welcome!" She responded warmly, a hint of excitement in her eyes. "Butterbeers on me."