Chapter 28

Abel and Lauren are lounging in Abel's bed in their shared apartment. Lauren is wanting to get a cat to keep here and Abel's all for it. They're talking about Bella now.

"I miss the Bella before Edward," Abel says. "The Bella who loved her life, as awkward as an awkward bisexual can be. The one who was worried sick when I called during my dad's rage spree when he killed my mom and tried to do the same to me. I miss that Bella."

"She's still in there, Tommy," Lauren says. She's been calling him Abel since Christmas when she finally learned what his middle name was: Thomas. "She just... she just let a love consume her drastically in an unhealthy way. I like your relationship with Emmett. It consumed you, but nowhere in the way as Edward and Bella. They kind of remind me of Romeo and Juliet."

"Hmm, yeah," Abel says. "It's weird, their relationship is the way it is and they're not even mates. Bella is his blood-singer."

"What exactly is a Blood-Singer?" Lauren asks.

"Bella's blood sings to Edward, he can barely control himself around her," Abel says. "It's not the same thing as a mate. Carlisle told me that they're both totally different."

Lauren thinks on that. Vampirism does fascinate her, but she's much like Abel. She doesn't want to be one. She wants to live out her human life by growing old and dying naturally. While Lauren's thinking, Abel grabs his cellphone when it chimes.

"Bella just texted me," Abel announces.

Lauren's green eyes glance over at Abel. "What does she want?"

"If we want to go shopping and to see a movie in Port Angeles with her and Jessica," Abel says.

"Do you want to?" Lauren asks. "It sounds fun."

Abel - We'll meet you at the shopping center in Port Angeles.
********

Lauren and Abel are walking behind Jessica and Bella as they leave the theatre after watching some zombie movie.

"I don't get why there are so many zombie movies," Bella claims.

"It's, like, a metaphor?" Jess assumed. "For consumerism or something. Not that you'd know anything about consuming. You didn't buy anything today, unlike my favorite gay."

Abel bought a pansexual flag he found for Lauren and he got himself a pair of rainbow converse high-tops he found in his size. He also bought some new movies for his and Lauren's Saturday night movie nights.

"I bought something," Bella says defensively.

"Socks don't count," Jessica says scoldingly and judgingly. "'Course, I was surprised you even called."

"I've been kind of... out of it," Bella claims as Abel twirls Lauren around, making the blonde giggle.

"Kind of?" Jessica gapes. "I mean, at first I was worried. Then I'm like, okay, she's still bumming? It's not like I wasn't going through things, too. Like Mike deciding to be just friends?"

"Mike is an idiot, like I told you when you came to me and Lauren," Abel says to Jess.

"How 'bout a ride?" a man from across the street calls out.

The quartet looks across the street at dive bar called One Eyed Pete's. There are four rough-looking guys loitering around outside next to their motorcycles. They're in the shadows, so their faces aren't seen by the eighteen-year-olds.

"No..." Lauren grabs Abel's arm when she goes to follow Bella when she goes toward the guys. "No, you let Bella do stupid on her own. I'm not risking your life before Emmett comes back."

Jessica grabs onto Abel's other arm, scared for Bella.

"Bella!" Jessica screams when Bella gets on a bike and it takes off.

Bella comes back after a few moments.

"What, are you stupid or something? Suicidal?" Abel snaps at his cousin. "Lauren, can we go home now?"

"Yes," Lauren replies, peeved. "Is Edward really worth this rebelliousness?" she asks Bella softly when Jess and Abel walk away. "Are vampires really worth risking your death for? Think about your dad and about Abel the next time you do something reckless." She whisks around and she goes to Emmett and Abel's Jeep. She doesn't call it just Emmett's Jeep, this Jeep belongs to both Emmel (Emmett + Abel = ship name = Emmel). "Let's go home."

Abel drives them away from Port Angeles as Jessica drives with Bella. The two go inside their apartment and go to their respective rooms.