02 | i should run the other way

∞ ∞ ∞

reminisce

/ˌrɛmɪˈnɪs / verb

1. indulge in enjoyable recollection of past events

∞ ∞ ∞

In the quiet corners of her office, whilst the northside city's heartbeat was still at a distant murmur, Valerie found herself drinking her exhaustion away with the first wine bottle she could get her hands onto. 

The wine, in it's crystalline clarity, adorned the glass Valerie poured it into with it's faded amber hues, leaving trails of it's citrusy fragrance that mixed with the city's morning air. 

Valerie raised the glass, and as the first sip touched her lips, the wine unfolded radiantly on the buds of her tongue. As the citric flavours wrapped around her senses, it caused her to indulge in the complexity of it's origin. The colour, much like the essence of a summer afternoon, held a subtle vibrancy that danced with the play of Valerie's warm office light. 

There was a certain warmth to this wine, a velvety embrace that seemed to echo in such tender memories of her first recollection of this sort of wine. Riesling, was it?

Though the memory was fuzzy, the recollection of the taste was everything but clear.

Sadly enough, the rich taste, that being a warm fuzziness on her tongue, only pulled her to realise the real intoxication was the blend of work piled all over the marble desk in front of her. 

Valerie spent the remaining days of the week tied down by a whirlwind of meetings, deadlines, dreaded negotiations and, what her board referred it to as, 'innovative brainstorming' sessions, in order to make up for her impulsive take off with Azelia earlier on during this week.

The scattered paperwork for the instalments of a few more elevators in the building were just an unkind bonus to her current workload.

"Isn't it a little early for wine?" Eden said as she leaned against the doorframe of the woman's opened office door, breaking the silence and Valerie's moment of work.

Valerie glanced up at the brunette after signing off on a document, a hint of gratitude in her tired eyes as she took a moment to look at something other than black and red ink on a page.

"Not when you're an alcoholic." She smiled before ironically taking another sip out of her glass.

"It's been 7 years and I still can't tell whether you're joking or not." Eden chuckled and walked over to Valerie's desk, observing the papered chaos when she got there. 

"Neither." Valerie playfully sighed, giving a deflated look as she sunk into her seat, her neck sore from constantly looking down and her insides aching as she now remembered drinking on a relatively empty stomach was a very poor decision to begin her morning with. 

"What's got you so buried in paperwork at such an ungodly hour?"  Eden playfully raised a brow as she flicked through the several printed documents on her boss' desk. It took all her might not to say something that would get her on Valerie's nerves.  

Valerie sighed again, weariness visibly settling in her shoulders. "All the business launch shit. Approvals, contracts, the whole she-bang. I'm practically drowning in it."

Eden tilted her head, her green eyes narrowing down on Valerie's brown ones. "Speaking of never-ending, when are you going to give me the haps when you went down to the lobby?"