Chapter 2

Electricity ripples from my power sword as I swing and miss, my opponent swings back with an unbridled ferocity in their strikes. All their blows land to clash my sword with each strike growing stronger by the swing, however they are so predisposed on one hand they neglect the other as I parry the next strike with my storm shield and send them reeling. Now is the time I think, as I surge forward and go on the offensive, they try to use their smaller frame to avoid but it is no use, I have them pinned and mounting the pressure. In a last ditch effort to win, they make a costly gamble by lowering their sword in order to try and dodge within the blindspot of my shield, bad move I think as I shove the shield forwards knocking them on the floor and before they could react I hold the blade to their chest and say "Yield". They reluctantly yield and remove their helmet "Almost had you there, father!" Luci smiles as I sheathe my sword.

Luci has grown quite a bit since that fateful conversation with both Grüber and Karl, she is now nineteen and donning a suit graciously donated from the same sect of the order of the argent shroud that Karl knew personally. "You did," I respond "however your form needs work and that gamble of your cost you the duel", Luci stands up from the ground and scratches her head "Sorry, I figured since your new role of bladeguard had you paired with a storm shield, I could use it to dodge your attacks, given your new blind spot''. Much has happened to me as well, I was appointed to be a head of my own crusader squad and adopted the armor and gear of a  bladeguard which coincides with my new place as a member of the sword brethren, I have also been granted the honor of sporting the distinctive maroon colored trim on my shoulder pads, denoting my status as a veteran of the chapter.

I sighed "A fair assessment, but a costly one at that. If we ever see frontline combat, promise me not to make such foolish decisions'', with a smirk Luci responds "Of course, father!" I put my head in my hand before letting out another tired sigh. As usual, we return to our sparring sessions, even inviting a few new prospective initiates and neophytes into the mix as we clashed blades, we went at it for a number of hours until Luci is thoroughly tired, "Father-" she manages to say, at a clear loss of breath, "I think, that will be enough training for me" she takes a deep breath, "-for today." she finishes. I sheathe my sword and say "Indeed, I suppose it is getting rather late, let us return to our quarters but have your armor removed by the techpriests. Luci shoots another one of her signature smiles and says "Yes, father!" as she scurries off towards the armory where a techpriest is likely to be working with one of our techmarines. "Brother Adelhard?" a voice asks, I turn around to see four initiates standing before me, all of them a part of my crusader squad, "Yes, Dieter? Do you require some extensive training too?" I ask.

Dieter politely declines, but asks "Is it true that Luci will be fighting alongside us should any more battles present themselves?", I'm taken aback at hearing this and respond "Do you doubt your sister's fighting capabilities, Dieter?" I ask, Dieter promptly responds with "Of course not, brother. Given your expertise I have no doubt in her sword abilities" he shifts his tone to one of concern "-however she's still just a normal, she would be at greater risk fighting in our theaters of deployment" I place a hand on Dieter's shoulder, "Which is why nobody will expect her, her speed is much better thanks to her armor and rigorous training", secretly I had my doubts, however good my ability to teach Luci, Dieter was right that she was just a normal, I just did my best to teach her and that is that, the rest of the crusader squad look at each other as I continue "on top of that she is small, small enough to hide behind us, and in a duel perform maneuvers that can surpass even my skills should she prove crafty enough". The crusader squad take another look at each other before turning back to me, Dieter says "If that's the case, I cannot wait to see sister Luci in action against the emperor's enemies" I nod and say "If that is all, you should be on your way then, brothers"