Tough Love

Odie's POV

Matt rubbed circles onto the back of my hand with his thumb as Phea came and sat opposite us. She looked dubious.

"Whatever I did, I didn't do it," she stated placing her hands on the dining table.

"I'm sorry Phee. This is really hard for me to do, but Matt and I have agreed that it's about time for you to move out," I sighed biting on my lower lip.

"You're kicking me out?" she frowned scrunching up her nose and crossing her arms.

I looked at Matt who kept a stern expression on his face.

"Yes. You have lived with us for a year now, and you don't seem to be trying to look for a place to live, or trying to get a job, so we found you a job, and now you just need to find somewhere to live," I elaborated.

"What's the job?" she hissed scrunching her nose up further.

"Matt has kindly offered you a job as his secretary. Well with some persuasion, it was a very kind offer, and you will be paid well enough to rent a reasonable apartment. We looked through the newspapers and circled some potential places that would be in your price range," I smiled softly using the hand that wasn't in Matt's to slide the papers across the table.

She rolled her eyes causing Matt to clench his jaw. It was clear her time here was getting on his nerves, not that I enjoyed it much more than he did, but she was my sister so, I felt responsible to take care of her when she needed it- which seemed like all the time.

Opening the papers she looked over the pages before dropping them back onto the table.

"Was this his idea?" she asked.

"It was a mutual decision. You are twenty-five Phea, if I am capable of getting a job and having a roof over my head, you can do it too."

"Well not all of us can snag ourselves a lawyer to pay all of the bills," she smirked.

"Granted Matt does pay for a lot, seen as he earns the most money. But I have a job, well most of that money goes towards paying for my student loans. At least I went to university and med school, and now I am working, rather than sitting on the couch binge watching Netflix," I frowned, "but think about it Phee, you'll be working in a law firm, lawyers everywhere, try to snag one."

I could see Matt frowning at me for my comment but his lips twitched making it clear he wanted to smile also, just didn't want to seem like his opinions were swaying on this matter.

She chuckled softly, "fine I'll work in a stupid law firm."

"Great. Do you have a preference on an apartment, or shall I just phone them all and pick one for you?"

She rolled her eyes once again, "Pick one for me, you always have the best judgement," she stared straight at Matt before standing up from the table.

Phea pushed her chair in letting it screech against the laminate flooring as she pushed it under the table. She stomped as she left the room, probably going to sulk in her room.

Sometimes I wondered how we were twins, she was stuck being an adolescent, not growing older or gaining any maturity. She had never really held down a job, she had never stuck to a relationship, and she had never actually had a home to live in, as she jumped from my spare room, to a spare room at our parents' house to one of her friend's sofas.

We were complete opposites when it came to that. Granted work wasn't easy to get as a med student but at least I was starting the building blocks of becoming successful. I had been with Matt for five years and we were now engaged, and we owned our own house.