1.

At the end of each chapter there will be a glossary that will explain terms of nicknames which you all are probably unfamiliar with! So if you're confused about anything, the glossary will probably explain it ^^

anyways enjoy the prologue :D

The sound of the tip of a pen scratching against a surface echoed throughout the dark quiet room with small rays of sunlight peering through the cracks of dark curtains. Despite it being quite early in the morning, outside people were seen rushing around. Preparing for another day of work.

In the dark room, a lonely man sat at his desk, writing away on a piece of document before placing it on a stack of papers beside him. He had dark circles formed under his blue eyes that used to be bright. He stared lifelessly as he continued on with finishing the stack of remaining papers.
Most days were always the same, filled with the exact same bleakness, silence and loneliness.

To the king of Dawn this was routine.

Working. Working. Working. And maybe a small nap, only if he wasn't plagued with nightmares as he regularly was. For more than three hundred years[¹] it remained the exact same. Well, for the most part everything remained the same but it also constantly changed over the years. The room he practically wallowed away in changed every month or two at least. He would be forced out of the room by his beloved sister who would get the servants to rearrange the room and sometimes completely change the room entirely. It was the only change that he liked in his life.

Anything else was unwelcome.

“Your Majesty…” A silent knock echoed from behind the door, snapping the king out of his robotic life movements. Responding with a simple ‘come in’, the door was opened and the head butler waltzed in, almost completely trained for the routine that would follow. The elderly man opened up all the curtains with one smooth movement and beckoned the other maids to start cleaning the room.

“You should go get ready, your majesty. Lady Morgan waits for you in the gardens.” The butler bowed, the dark haired king sighed, standing up from the desk, almost annoyed that he would need to go outside. Yet he didn't complain, he needed this every now and then.

Three hundred years of working to keep Dawn the idyllic kingdom it was made to be, was difficult. Especially with so few trustworthy people to work under him, and it was also difficult having to replace the few trustworthy people every so fifty years due to the fact that people still age.

Unlike him.

And his sister. And the mage. And… two others.

He's seen so much during these decades of years, also adding to the fact that he has the memories of one of his dearest friends engraved into his soul and mind. He's seen far too much for a normal human but at the same time, he doesn't hate that.

Anything that reminded him of them was welcome.

Avery ran a hand through his messy hair, staring at himself through the mirror. He looked terrible, his eyes had lost most of its blue colour and the eye bags under his eyes weren't doing him wonders.

He couldn't help but wonder what Persia[²] would say if she had seen him in his current state. He let out a snort, clearly not interested in entertaining the thought further, his eyes wandered over to the window sill where a black cat[³] sat perched. Watching the king with its big yellow eyes, who gave the cat small head scratches.

Avery cast one last gaze at the ruby encased in glass on the nightstand by his bed before leaving his room, slowly making his way to the gardens.

︵✰