Ten: Truth and Lies

I turned away from the laughing crowds, ignoring the twinges in my stomach. Then, from behind me, a whisper made me freeze.

"This way, Peri," hissed the voice. Male, soft, with no footsteps to listen to. I spun around, ice in my veins, but even with my training, the person who the voice belonged to moved too fast, leaving only air where he must have stood. I did not let myself shiver and breathed normally. I reached into the folds of my dress and gripped my dagger laced with Forest's Fire. I glanced up and down the red rug, the platter of food and the gaggle of girls laughing and dressed like butterflies, but wasn't sure where he was. I turned back, unsure, and took another step forward. There was the voice again.

"Right, Peri," hissed that voice as it passed through the crowd again. I turned to the right, the only part of the courtyard not lit up, a stretch of shadow behind the biggest golden column. I walked forward, out of Devin's sight and into the shadow. I approached cautiously, but there was no one there.

"Almost there, Peri," said the voice again, making me whip around and peer into darkness, dagger aloft. Only, no one was there. As I walked along the dark, heart beating, there was a narrow turning at the end. I turned and found myself face to face with a man wearing a fine sherwani and pants, a black crow's mask with a large hook nose obscuring his face.

"Does your mother know you are here unaccompanied?" he asked, an my heart thumped, hearing those codes taught but never used till now.

"Yes, she is the one that sent me here." I responded, scanning his face.

The Crow inclined his head. "I bring word from the House," he said, "The enemy is closing in. More Peris have fallen. Are you in his inner circle?"

I paused, "Not exactly. Not yet." I did not bother asking his name, as he clearly did not wish anyone to recognize him. His brow furrowed from under the mask, his black, beady eyes narrowing.

I hastened to explain, "There have been complications." I related the day's progress to him, and he tipped his head to the side when I finished.

He said, "Well, what are your plans, Peri? I cannot return to the House empty handed." I swallowed, and wracked my brain for an answer. Then, it came to me in a flash, a daring plan forming, equal parts crazy and foolish.

"He hasn't accepted me," I admitted, "But you could help me gain his trust." He frowned.

"How?" he demanded, "How could I help you do such a thing?"

I smiled.

*****

I hovered along the side of the nearest crowd to the pillar, turning to face the nobles as they guffawed. I joined in, tittering, but quietly, which earned me approving glances. Then, when they quietened, I slid over to the next crowd, further up, closer to Devin, then the next. I worked my way to Devin, his group of men and the two girls who continued to ignore me. Devin's eyes fell on me and he jumped, as though he hadn't registered my presence until too late. This was unsurprising as I knew how to be invisible, how to blend in with a crowd. Even now, I kept my head lowered and my shoulders slack.

His Ministers followed his gaze and similarly jumped, but the animosity in their eyes was more obvious. They did not want me around their precious High Priest, and I could imagine why: I am, for now, on Devin's side. But Devin might keep me with him – there had been such fire in his voice when talking about the quest. He needed this quest to succeed, and it occurred to me – perhaps this was his way of proving he could rule without the Ministers, be a capable leader. Perhaps this was his way of finally taking charge to release himself from their tenuous hold. Which would explain why the Ministers assigned the worst of the worst to travel with him. Devin told the truth – they wanted him to fail.