05: race wars

Lala sized up her competition while leaning against her car, a cherry red 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle SS

Lala sized up her competition while leaning against her car, a cherry red 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle SS. It was her pride and joy. Jack Toretto had given it to her father and he kept it for Lala. Unsurprisingly, Dom wanted to see if she'd throw up slips with him so that he could get his hands on the beast. The two would be racing each other in a few days to do just that.

"You sure you know how to handle that?" A man's voice sounded from nearby causing her to look over. He stood with another shorter guy wearing a mesh shirt and loud pants. Lala hadn't known their names in the moment - Johnny Tran and Lance. "A beauty like that needs a lot of love and somebody who can handle her properly."

"I can handle her just fine, baby. Why don't you worry about your boy here who lost his last three races." She nodded to the shorter one and pushed her hair out of her eyes with her sunglasses.

His face hardened at the disrespect sent to his cousin and stepped closer to her. "You might wanna watch who you disrespect like that, Viper."

Lala let out a sarcastic laugh at his statement. "Look, cabrón, you can stand here and keep talking shit or get behind the wheel. I'll smoke your ass out either way."

A short ten minutes later, Lala was stepping out of her car feeling $4k heavier. Letty crossed her arms while walking over to her sister.

"Who did you race?" She asked with a raised brow.

"Some jackass in a Honda, couldn't stop running his mouth." Lala shrugged and put the money into her fanny pack. Letty shook her head, patting her on the back before starting over to her own car.

Suddenly, Johnny grabbed her wrist, she didn't know much about him personally - just that she'd raced with him a few times before he started running his mouth today. What she did know is that he was mad as hell about his loss. Plus it wasn't the first loss he had to Viper, he had yet to win against her over the years. Lala knew she could handle herself if it turned into anything violent but for now she let it slide.

Letty looked over her shoulder from her car and spotted the unwanted touch immediately. "Take your hands off of her before I break your face." She shut that shit down.

He glared at her, not letting go. "I got something for Viper." His anger was prominent, seeping into every last word of his sentence.

"Tran, get your hands off. Now." She said again and pulled Lala away from him. The two walked over to where Dom stood with Leon and Vince. In a low voice she spoke to her. "You stick with one of us from now on, okay?"

"No objections from me." She matched her older sister's tone.

Leon looked her up and down swiftly before twirling the toothpick he had in his mouth around with his tongue. "I'll be back, I gotta pull the Jetta up." He jogged off to the Jetta and drove it up to the stretch. She watched him go with a small smile before facing Dom again.