07 : another lifetime

Mia sat by Lala as she rested in the hospital bed

Mia sat by Lala as she rested in the hospital bed. She had been injured multiple times within a few hours and ended up needing surgery. Jesse was dead, everyone else left. But Mia stayed.

The slow rhythmic sounds of Lala's heartbeat were the only thing giving her some sense of comfort. She sighed and leaned back in the chair next to her bed. Lala was awake a few hours ago, alert and stable despite her wounds from the bullets which hit her upper leg earlier that day, and her back - needing surgery to remove the bullet. The doctor said there was a risk for immobility in her legs but they wouldn't know the outcome until she was awake again. Dom never came back to the house before the girls left and neither did Brian. How could he do this? How could he come into their lives and be the only one to walk out unscathed? It wasn't fair. Her family couldn't come home, one of them was dead and two were severely injured.

She stood and touched Lala's hand lightly before walking out of the room, she needed coffee or something to give her the energy to stay awake. Pulling out her phone, she walked down the hall to find the elevator.

At the end of the hall where she just stepped onto the elevator, the one next to it opened to reveal Brian. He walked quickly to Lala's room and froze in the doorway. She looked peaceful like she was simply taking a nap not like she had been shot. There were cleaned scrapes and some bruising visible on her face and arms. He walked over and grabbed her hand in his while sitting on the edge of the bed.

"Adrianna...Lolita...I don't even know what I should be calling you, what's real and what's not. God we really have to talk about all of this." He sighed and looked at her necklace, the ring glistening softly in the light. "I'm so sorry, baby. I wanted to tell you so badly. I wanted to tell you everything that I was going to do but I couldn't...I thought I was protecting you from the truth." His thumb brushed over her knuckles and the heart monitor's rhythm sped up, irregular fast beats.

Her eyes cracked open slightly and looked up at him. "What are you doing here, Brian?"

He looked at her with relief, love, and guilt in his eyes. He knew she would get caught up the second that she showed up at that race. His boss had told him about Letty, how Lala was related to her and born under another name. He just assumed it was him trying to convince Brian to join the investigation. That it was a cop's trick. Turns out he truly didn't know the woman in front of him, not in the way he once thought he did.

"Johnny and Lance are both dead." He started to tell her and she furrowed her brows, leaning up slightly. "The others took off, but Jesse..."

"Mia already told me when I got out of surgery. He got shot in the heart there uh wasn't a chance of surviving that one...he died almost instantly." Lala squeezed Brian's hand. "I was so scared that I'd...you know. I expected you to be back at the station by now."

Brian shook his head, kissing her hand. "The second I found out from Dom..." his eyes filled with tears.

-